grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Brown running Grouper 1.3.0 rc1 in QA

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Brown running Grouper 1.3.0 rc1 in QA

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: "Cramton, James" <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Brown running Grouper 1.3.0 rc1 in QA
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:07:29 +0100

--On 28 April 2008 16:46 -0400 "Cramton, James" <> wrote:

- As a point of reference, we've been experimenting with
performance in our system, and we have yet to find a performance
bottleneck. In particular, in this build, we upped the
comparator.sort.limit in the ui/resources/grouper/media.properties file
to 50,000, and we have not been able to document a significant
performance hit. Our largest group contains 17,000 members, and it
displays a sorted list of members within 30 seconds, even when we display
all 17,000 members on 1 page. Why someone would want to do that is
unclear, but it does perform well in our system.
Good to hear you are happy with performance. I'm not sure the 30 seconds would scale for many users - there is a lot of work going on so a bottleneck is likely.

I don't know if you have seen that it is possible to specify in media.properties:

comparator.sort.lowercase=false

This setting reduces the Java work by omitting String.toLowerCase() on sort terms. I'd be interested to see what impact that has.

I've been experimenting with caching my 30000 subjects in memory (in my custom loader). This can also improve performance by reducing database reads.

Gary

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing