grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] group membership singleton pairs suggestion

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] group membership singleton pairs suggestion

  • From: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • To: Peter Schober <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] group membership singleton pairs suggestion
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:39:16 -0500

This is interesting to read and good to know.

But it doesn't address the issue of updates on extremely large individual objects.

-K

On Apr 3, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Peter Schober wrote:
* Kathryn Huxtable
<>
[2008-04-03 19:09]:
Well, I don't know about directories other than Sun's and OpenLDAP,
but they both store an object as a text string in an Oracle
Sleepycat DB file. The indices are stored in separate DB files.

If you have hundreds of thousands of values for an attribute,
e.g. hasMember, it can apparently be a bit slow to update it.

Keeping the objects small has some performance advantages, I guess.

recent OpenLDAP releases (2.4.x) should be fine with just about any
size of DIB (if properly tuned):
e.g. http://www.connexitor.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=203
or http://www.connexitor.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=191

not that desinging/optimizing the DIT structure is bad in any way and
some are possbily stuck with products less well equipped ;)
http://www.mail-archive.com//msg01464.html

best regards,
-peter

--

- vienna university computer center
Universitaetsstrasse 7, A-1010 Wien, Austria/Europe