grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [grouper-users] Dynamics groups in grouper

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [grouper-users] Dynamics groups in grouper

  • From: Arnaud Deman <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [grouper-users] Dynamics groups in grouper
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:43:33 +0100

Currently I am finishing the point 4 and I have also to see if it is
possible to handle the indirect memberships...

Do you think this could work ?
It may. The trick is to differentiate when a client is asking for a list of members or testing if a subject is a member from when Grouper does these things internally for membership calculations. Given that these groups behave differently to normal groups you may want to prevent the groups being used for certain purposes. You need to be very clear about what is allowed and what is not - potentially throwing exceptions if illegal actions are attempted. In the UI you might want custom logic to disable some options.

The aim is to make this dynamic groups as transparent as possible: ideally it will be possible to list the members of a group, to test if a subject is a member of and also to retrieve the list of groups the subject is member of. I think this last point may be more intricate but I haven't look at it deeply yet.

How many dynamic groups are you likely to need? Do they have to be fully enumerated i.e. will you be expecting to list these memberships or just test whether someone is a member?
A lot ! ;) We don't know currently exactly how many but it is possible that we have to manage several thoushands (say between 3000 and 5000). And of course we would like to enumerate them ! We can't do that with the PAGS groups and it was also one of our motivation to extends Grouper for this purpose.

Arnaud.

--

Arnaud Deman - Développeur
GIP RECIA