grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] An Example of Lite and full featured web services

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] An Example of Lite and full featured web services

  • From: "Stephen M. Barrett" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] An Example of Lite and full featured web services
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:40:01 -0500

Chris Hyzer wrote:
This is another example of someone using "Rest-like" to describe a HTTP-GET
based RPC service.
In fact, the way they have the full featured one built with objects, and lite
methods built with scalars is exactly what I have been doing (e.g. findGroups
and findGroupsSimple). Two differences that I see:

1. Their response can be XML or XHTML. I didn't look too carefully, but it
doesn't look like their XML in the response is in an xml schema, it is just
returned as a string. 2. Perhaps this helps them have XML is slightly
simpler than the Axis generated one.

I wonder if they are using Axis, it seems similar, though maybe they are
customizing the WSDL to return with XML or XHTML... (Grouper's us currently
100% generated)

Chris

Fedora is using Axis; version 1.3.x. It employs a rather complicated server-config.wsdd whose content I am unfamiliar with. I've done work with the client side .wsdd but not the server side.

The server .wsdd contains definitions which point to classes in a Fedora package but that does not mean that the code contained therein is not generated. I'm not sure that pursuing its make-up further is warranted because it is derived from Axis 1.3 but if you would like I will delve into the code and do some more analysis.

begin:vcard
fn:Stephen Barrett
n:Barrett;Stephen
org:Cornell University;CIT/IS
adr;dom:;;120 Maple Ave;Ithaca;NY;14850
email;internet:
title:Tech Lead
tel;work:607.254.2917
tel;home:607.426.2759
note;quoted-printable:- Interpretation of content contained within this email is an opinion oft=
	he reader who acknowledges such through the action of viewing this messag=
	e.=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cornell.edu
version:2.1