grouper-dev - more web services discussion

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

more web services discussion

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: more web services discussion
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:24:19 -0600

Following are a few more questions that occur to me as I think about what next steps the grouper team should take towards providing an initial form of a web services interaction style. Please share your insights!

Is a REST approach less work to develop and support on-going than a SOAP approach? Does the answer depend on whether you adopt the server or client perspective? Or does the answer turn on other dependencies?

Either way, should we *initially* aim to provide a rather straight-through mapping of the grouper API's capabilities into a web services interaction style?

Or should we instead aim to *initially* provide a smaller, perhaps somewhat abstracted, set of group information and group management services?

Should we develop a definition of a standard "groups-lite" interface as part of this web services work? As an independent standard, it would maximally isolate the grouper web services interface from the underlying grouper java API, and it could be a Good Thing to bring to the world in any case. But can we get away without having to do quite so much up front work?

And more concretely, what, if anything, should we ask ChrisH to do to provide us with a prototype experience with which to kick some tires?

Finally, whether or not you write a reply to this email, I invite you to discuss such things on the grouper-dev conference call this Wednesday.

  • more web services discussion, Tom Barton, 12/10/2007