grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper & Web Services

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper & Web Services

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper & Web Services
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:29:38 -0500

Gary,

I don't have answers to all of these questions right now, but I would like to make a comment about the forth question. Our applications use service accounts that are stored in LDAP and associated with Kerberos principals. So in our use cases, we would likely need to have some sort of Kerberos authentication available or a pluggable interface where we can insert that type of authentication.

Thanks,

-- Shilen

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
It is clear that there is demand for a Web Services interface to Grouper, but less clear what form it should take. The conference call this week will focus on Web Services. With that in mind we would like to canvas opinion / experience as to the approach the Grouper project should take. So, if you use web services or plan to use them, please answer the following questions and join the call on Wednesday:

1. what forms of "web services interface" ought to be in the core product in, say, the next 1 year?

2. should SOAP be supported by the first WS-capable release (which *might* also have additional capabilities)?

3. what tools are most commonly used on campuses to create WS instances and their clients?

4. what grouper-WS authentication and access control requirements do campuses have?

Gary

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing