grouper-dev - Future Priorities: Item B2 and A2

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Future Priorities: Item B2 and A2

  • From: "Michael R. Gettes" <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Future Priorities: Item B2 and A2
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:11:24 -0400

The list here: https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/x/NBk

B2 Support for namespace transition The hierarchy of naming stems in a deployment will change over time. Although the XML Import/ Export tool supports prune & graft, for large changes that could take a while, be disruptive. Ability to logically "move" or "copy" a group or a selection of groups from one naming stem to another would be superior.

I don't believe the above item is something that warrants API level work. I think some
documentation regarding "HOW-TO" achieve this functionality thru export/import is the
way to go at this point. It is not the "easiest" path - but, as we have discussed and
I believe agreed on the signet side this is the path to solve this level problem. I
also note that if we can provide other interfaces such as web services (noted by A2 below)
people may create their own high-level mechanisms to achieve this functionality. If
someone wants to write php/perl/python whatever to manipulate the XML that would be good.
The "HOW-TO" boils down to
export relevant stems
then run a script to rename groups from one stem
to another (especially for bulk operation)
re-import (which creates the new stems)
point applications (over time) to use the new stems and maintain
the group data in both stems
then delete the old if a move is desired when the apps have changed

A2 Web services interfaces for query, management Likewise declared out of scope a while back, this is probably the second most requested capability missing from the toolkit. What subset of the API ought to be exposed through each of what set of endpoints expressed in which web services idiom, and how should requests to & responses from those endpoints be structured?

This work is important especially if we want to consider alternate UI environments.
It was mentioned on the call today that some work has been done by various folks
to expose these abilities but the work is incomplete. It would be very helpful
if people doing work in these areas could share their work, even if incomplete,
so that others might benefit and contribute.

/mrg