grouper-dev - LDAPpc performance & error log report

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

LDAPpc performance & error log report

  • From: "Cramton, James" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: LDAPpc performance & error log report
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:11:59 -0400

I've summarized some results from our LDAPpc performance testing on the
i2 wiki at

https://wiki.internet2.edu:443/confluence/x/wD4

I'll save the group some of the details unless you care to read the wiki
posting, but the key take-aways are these:

- Our SunOne LDAP server DB reads & writes are the constraining factor.
Reducing logging had a negligible impact on performance. We're moving
the LDAP server DB & logs to a fast isSAN disk as our next step.

- There are statistics and examples of LDAPpc GroupEntrySynchronizer and
GrouperProvisioner errors encountered during our runs. There is no sign
that these exceptions impact group memberships, however.

We're still looking into some of these issues, but we're finding
performance of LDAPpc acceptable for now. But we will definitely need
substantial performance improvements in place by Spring term.

James Cramton
Lead Programmer/Analyst
Brown University

401 863-7324