grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: Best signet/grouper versions to use for integration?

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: Best signet/grouper versions to use for integration?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Kathryn Huxtable <>
  • Cc: dan <>, "" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: Best signet/grouper versions to use for integration?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:31:14 -0600

And I goofed when I mentioned "hibernate 1.7.2". It's hsqldb v1.7.2, which doesn't matter to Dan since he's using postgres. Grouper 1.1 and Signet 1.0.1 both ship with hibernate v2.1.8.

Kathryn Huxtable wrote:
Dan, Hibernate isn't a database, it's a database independent persistence
mechanism for Java. It works with Postgres. I use it with Oracle, but it
doesn't really matter much.

-K

On 1/23/07 8:19 AM, "dan"

FYI, we're using Postgres (8.1, I think), not Hibernate. Current dev
platform is stock OSX Tiger, Java 1.5, mostly using Eclipse 3.2 + a
whole lotta plugins.

In simple terms, we want to take people's user and group repos,
usually LDAPish (Active Directory, eDirectory, OpenLDAP etc), apply
groups and permissions in a simple and unified manner, and do single
sign-on (i.e. Shibboleth) and privilege management against a wide
range of 3rd party web apps. We are also doing centralised
administration of application settings. Nothing too dramatic there.

Which reminds me - how do you usually push your group and privilege
information out to other applications? Say you've got a mail app that
needs groups, and reads those groups from its own text file format, or
a photo sharing application which needs to know if a user has a
"publish" privilege. How does one model those scenarios in the
Grouper/Signet universe?

Please excuse my general ignorance of the field, this is quite new to me.

Regards,
Dan

On 1/24/07, Tom Barton
I run signet 1.0.1 with grouper 1.1 in the same jvm using subject 0.2.1
and hibernate 1.7.2 (the earlier version that ships with grouper). Some
care must be taken with forming the union of the two products' 3rd
parties libs - with the exception noted above, keep the later version of
any 3rd party lib in common.

I hear the sound of potential volunteerism! I'm very interested to learn
more about what you're attempting to do.

Tom

dan wrote:
Hi there,

We're attempting to use grouper+signet to manage groups/permissions
together from an LDAP data source.

Signet 1.0.1 doesn't appear to ship with a version of Subject API that
speaks LDAP. It generally seems to be a generation behind the current
stable Grouper in terms of library versions.

My question is: which are the best versions to use for signet+grouper
integration, with a view to incorporating shibboleth in the near future?
We have a tight deadline, but as we're an R&D project we're happy to
live on the edge and use CVS HEAD if that's what it takes. We really,
really want to prove to ourselves that the I2MI can satisfy our need to
manage groups/permissions/signon from multiple LDAP sources (some of
which may be read-only).

If there are any experts out there would would be able to point me in
the right direction, I would be forever grateful. We would be happy to
contribute our experiences, expertise and even coding resources back to
the project if we can prove that it's a viable solution for us. Without
giving too much away (because I'm not sure I'm allowed yet), we are a
company that provides online services to millions of users in the
education market. We have a proprietary product that works fine but is
difficult to maintain and extend, and for this and other reasons moving
to an OSS platform which can scale to meet our requirements is very
desirable.

Am happy to have a Skype conference call if people can tell me when
they'll be awake and ready to chat.

Thanks,
Dan