grouper-dev - Subject API Slowness

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Subject API Slowness

  • From: Mark Weber <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Subject API Slowness
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:51:53 -0500

We've started doing some initial load testing and found that it's pretty slow. Our initial estimates put a full load of our population into grouper, via the xml-import facility, would take about 8 days.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Subject API. Specifically the Subject API configured using JNDI/LDAP adapter. For Instance, the UI takes 74 seconds to load the " All Groups - Current subjects with [xyz] privilege" page. It displays the first 50 members and creates a connection, bind, search, result, unbind, and disconnect for each person on the page. Same with the xml-import.

I noticed that on the import, for each subject, the API handles each request discretely (connect, bind, query disconnect) instead of in mass (connect, bind, query, query, query...unbind). And it's possible (and likely) that I just have it mis-configured. So, is there some configuration option that allows for connection pooling within the subject API when it's using LDAP?

OR

This is an assumption, but if we used the jdbc source adapter instead, would it use connection pooling and thereby eliminate the problem altogether?

--
.Mark G. Weber----------------------Division of Information Technology.

University Of Wisconsin - Madison|
|608/263.8945 Room 3159 Computer Science|