grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper issue tracking

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper issue tracking

  • From: Will Norris <>
  • To: grouper-dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper issue tracking
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:07:13 -0700

On Aug 7, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Will Norris wrote:

The biggest problem I see with Google Code's issue tracking is the lack of a defined vocabulary for "labels" (of course, one could also argue that this is one if its biggest features). While the looseness of the labels definitely allows for great flexibility, there needs to be some kind of common vocabulary which other issues tracking systems (bugzilla, jira, et al) provide. Most new users submitting tickets will probably not know that they need to label their issue with "Milestone:API_1.0.1", whereas this would be rather obvious in something like bugzilla.

actually, Milestone was a bad example. But there is still a lot of metadata about a submitted ticket (version, component, platform, etc) that is much more likely to get overlooked in a system like Google Code, so you'll spend a lot of time asking the submitter to include that information as well as correcting labels.

-will

I think you'll spend quite a bit of time fixing the labels of issues to fit into the vocabulary that you have chosen for the project.

I think we're a long way off from having to worry about search for tickets... there's a whopping three active tickets for Grouper right now in bugzilla.

-will