grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Comments on customizing the grouper UI

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Comments on customizing the grouper UI

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Joy Veronneau <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Comments on customizing the grouper UI
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:01:40 +0000

Hi Joy,

Comments below.

Gary

--On 28 November 2005 17:17 -0500 Joy Veronneau

Hi,

Here is a description of the files I had to change that I think will
need to be revisited with a new release. I think that all of these mods
were in the instructions for grouper-ui customization. (I just want to
mention again that I was *not* working with the qs release.)

1. Copied media.properties into my custom directory and added my style
sheet reference.
You can create a new file and put in only the properties you want to change. That way, with a new release, you will automatically pick up any new properties.

2. Made a custom version of tiles-def.xml and struts-config.xml. I
copied the entire files into my Cornell directory and then edited them,
but it looks like I can pare these down to Cornell mods only which would
overwrite the grouper defined ones so I don't think these files are of
concern wrt new versions. Is that correct?
Yes, you only need to add new definitions (if any) and modified definitions. Again, this ensures that you pick up any new definitions that come with a new release.

3. Made my own additional-build.xml file - This lives in my cornell
specific directory and I don't expect to have to make changes when the
new version comes out.

4. web.core.xml - added the definition for my custom struts-config-
cornell.xml file.
There is a way of merging your own web.xml fragment, however, it was broken in the initial 0.6 release. It should work better for 0.9.

5. I made copies of and changed the following jsps... I'll probably
customize more jsps after the next release. These should be fine with
the new version but I'll probably check to see what's changed in the
grouper version:

footer.jsp,
Expected that sites would create their own version
gettingstarted.jsp (actually haven't *changed* it yet but plan to)
Expected that sites would create their own version
head.jsp (took out those grouper and signet style sheet references.)
0.9 will allow you to turn off these styles by setting a property in media.properties
header.jsp
Expected that sites would create their own version
template.jsp
For 0.9 I have extracted some content from template.jsp and placed it in a new file, body.jsp. I hope that this will remove the need to change template.jsp.

I think that's all wrt the UI customization. I haven't got the web
service working yet but it looks like I can add it into the project by
just adding to my cornell directory and my additional-build.xml file.

Joy

One question is how easy it will be to port the customization from
release to release. It seems that there are less than five files
that
need to be edited outside of the "cornell" directory (web.core.xml,
build.properties, etc.)
There is a mechanism for merging web.xml fragments designed to make
changes to web.core.xml unnecessary, however, the first release was
buggy and I doubt it will work in all cases, however, if you send
me the modifications I'll have a go at getting them to work by
merging.

If you can let me know all the changes you had to make to files
outside of your cornell directory. I'll try and figure out if the
changes could have been accommodated a different way or if there
are other changes I can make so that the files do not need to be
modified in future.

and then I will want to compare the jsp
templates I have copied for Cornell with the new versions to
check for
any new functionality that I might want to incorporate. So I'm
thinking
it's not too much trouble. Any other comments/ideas on this?

Hopefully, this is the information you were looking for when you
asked
for my comments :) Feel free to write with questions etc.
This is all very useful. I'm sure that taking account of your
feedback and that of others will help us fine tune the UI
architecture and implementation so that it is easier for future
adopters of Grouper.

Joy

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing