grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] UI Documentation

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] UI Documentation

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Steve Barrett <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] UI Documentation
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:10:43 +0100

Many thanks Steve, I'll incorporate your suggestions.

Gary

--On 23 August 2005 14:55 -0400 Steve Barrett

Some notes about the QS documentation at:

http://portal.bris.ac.uk/grouper-ui-docs/README.html

Preparing Tomcat
- No real comments. Maybe a link directly into the Jakarta project so TC
can be easily found and downloaded.

Starting HSQLDB
- works as advertised but I really think that you should bundle the HSQL
admin app in the QS. From experience I can tell you that after a few
ctl-c?s to stop the HSQL DB it?s data becomes corrupt forcing you to
start the DB support process from scratch. If you had data in the DB
which you are relying on for demonstration purposes this can be a real
pain (and it was :)

Building the UI
- again, fairly straignforward but needs links to pick-up ant. I
happened to copy it from a local uPortal QS directory I had (I install
ant per project). - Those unfamiliar with ant are not going to realize
that they need the Catalina-ant.jar in the classpath for this to work. -
?Ant ui? produces an error; ?ant help? gives you the menu that the
documentation speaks of: I read the build.xml to determine this - I could
not get a deploy to work even thought I correctly set the deploy.home
(and I?m the worst ant user you have ever seen so don?t take my word for
it)

** I did not get to these area, sorry.
The Demo Database
Customising the UI