grouper-dev - 2nd Draft of Subject API Spec

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

2nd Draft of Subject API Spec

  • From: "Minh N. Nguyen" <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: 2nd Draft of Subject API Spec
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:51:23 -0700

A second draft of the Subject API 0.1 spec is available at http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/infrastructure/signet/project/doc/subject-api-spec-0.1-draft-02.html. This second draft reflects my attempt to reduce the spec to the core functionalities that are needed by Grouper and Signet.

Also, in several working group calls, we've debated over how to uniquely identify a subject, i.e. source+id, type+id, and whether this functionality should be handled within the Subject API or by the applications which uses the API. Letting applications arbitrarily determine uniqueness may lead to interoperability issues. Programmatically, we need to adopt a consistent way to evaluate whether two subjects are equal or not. I'd like to propose that we add to the API an abstract subject class which overrides the equals() method. This method will return true if two subject objects have the same source, type, and id.

--Minh