grouper-dev - Initial thoughts on 0.5.1, 0.5.n and 0.6

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Initial thoughts on 0.5.1, 0.5.n and 0.6

  • From: blair christensen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Initial thoughts on 0.5.1, 0.5.n and 0.6
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:02:01 -0800

These lists should not be considered authoritative or final. Rather,
they are to get discussion started and see if we can't establish some
sort of consensus on what goes in when.

# Grouper 0.5.1

* Fixes for known bugs
* Improved Java Beans compliance
* Removal of type argument in GrouperGroup loadByID() and loadByKey()
* Removal of calls to system.exit()
* Addition of a GrouperStem class for managing and representing
namespaces
* Initial cleanup of internal, backend methods
* Refactoring of test suite
* Add new tests to the test suite
* Use cli HSQLDB SqlTool rather than gui when initializing database
* Make sessions serializable
* Additional documentation and documentation fixes
* GrouperAccess.has()
* Log addition/deletion of effective memberships
* Improved compatibility with Oracle, MySQL and other versions of
HSQLDB
* A few bits of new and updated contrib code

# Grouper 0.5.n

A mythical release (or three) between 0.5.1 and 0.6. Items included
would be:

* Fixes for earlier 0.5.n releases
* Delayed or enhanced items from earlier 0.5.n releases
* Initial implementations of one or more items required to be in place
by 0.6. As some of the changes from 0.5.1 to 0.6 will be fairly
significant, at least internally, I think it might be better to
trickle out some of the changes as they are developed (and thus
getting earlier real-world experience and bug testing done on
them) rather than waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting until all
of the 0.6 feature set is ready and then unleashing it all at once.

# Grouper 0.6

* Improved group type support (multiple types, type addition|removal)
* Improved Subject interface
* Full implementations of the privilege interfaces along with internal
hooks for calling privilege checks
* Enhanced search capabilities (Details?)
* Enhanced browse capabilities (Details?)
* Ability to rename groups
* Support for displayName and displayExtension
* Ability to remove members from grouper_member table
* Ability to rename subjectIDs
* Internal cleanup and refactoring (Significant, I hope)
* Improved database support and usage
* Improved, expanded and more consistent logging policy
* Improved session handling
* Improved testing
* New and updated contributed code

What am I forgetting? And what did I put in the wrong place?