grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [grouper-users] Pt. 2: Playing with a new group type

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [grouper-users] Pt. 2: Playing with a new group type

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Re: [grouper-users] Pt. 2: Playing with a new group type
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:27:55 -0600

blair christensen wrote:
[Moved to grouper-dev]

On 2004.12.29 21:28, Keith Hazelton wrote:

Some additional info on the new group type "service" mentioned in the previous message.

To get the new group type bootstrapped into the grouper system, I ran some hibernate db commands modeled on the ones used during the Grouper installation process to initialize the system tables.

I had actually been thinking about this (the adding of custom group
types) today and I'm starting to think that we should expose the
adding and managing of group types and other schema through the
API.

I haven't actually plotted out what all would need to be added nor when
this would be added, but I think that this sort of thing should
(eventually) be exposed through the API *and* that that at the least
there should be a simple java program that ships with grouper that
exercises these bits of the API and can be used to manage Grouper's
schema.

Any strong feelings, positive or negative, on this matter? And if
positive, how soon you'd like to see it?

blair.

Like Keith I also found it easy to extend the group type schema - I'm not sure yet about the bang/buck that your time doing X with the API will net over sites tweaking init.sql and building a new db or just running a db manager console and adding rows to the 3 schema definition tables. I kinda hate to spend time now tackling the "while in flight" issues that seem likely to arise by supporting this in the API.

I agree that this goes on the "eventually" list. But I opine that group math, subject interface, aging, and shibbolization should be in there sooner than group type management.

Let me turn that into a question for the group: how would you sequence these capabilities to best meet upcoming requirements at your place?