comanage-users - [comanage-users] Usage questions

Subject: COmanage Users List

[comanage-users] Usage questions

  • From: Richard Frovarp <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [comanage-users] Usage questions
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:51:16 +0000

I'm trying to figure out how to use COManage Registry to replace what we
have for several different usecases. I'm sure that we can use it to do
these sorts of things, but I'm rather struggling with trying to figure
out how exactly to do it, and what it is that Registry can do, and what
external systems need to do.

Guest accounts:

Right now we have a process by which certain individuals on campus can
request guest accounts. They can fill out a form to request N accounts
that are valid for a max of Y days (9 days?). When the process is
finished, they are presented with the usernames and password. Looks like
Registry limits it to one account at a time? Also not sure how to set a
max of a certain number of days. And finally, not sure how to present
the user doing the enrollment with the generated ePPN (without having to
do additional clicks) and where an initial password would be generated.
Are there any solutions with the API for my to build a system to loop
over the 20 guest accounts being requested?

Affiliate accounts:

Basically the same as guests, but they live longer. Same problem of
showing the person doing the enrollment the ePPN and doing something
about initial password. We also have the problem not wanting to allow
unlimited duration expire times. We'd rather have them renew ever 120
days or something than putting the date out 80 years.

Emeritus:

We have a pool of individuals that were are NDSU, but no longer are
being paid, such as emeritus. We want to provide them and/or
administrative assistants in the right area the ability to update things
like phone numbers and office locations since they are no longer in the
HR data feed. Looks like this is going to be easy, but just looking for
any suggestions people might have about this. We'll have to eventually
have a process that automatically provisions the person into a COU when
they drop off of the HR data feed.

Social Login:

We don't have this right now, but want to start researching it. I have
Registry using Shibboleth SP. We will likely want to be able to support
social logins at some point. What are people using to do that auth and
have it feed into COManage?

I'm guessing that some of what we need might require that we write a
plugin, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something already in
the system.

Thanks,

Richard