comanage-users - Re: [comanage-users] COmanage Release Cadence

Subject: COmanage Users List

Re: [comanage-users] COmanage Release Cadence

  • From: Paul Caskey <>
  • To: Bill Thompson <>, Benn Oshrin <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [comanage-users] COmanage Release Cadence
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 00:55:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23: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
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:0

Didn't have time to respond yet, which turned out to be good because I agree
with what Bill said. Less typing, less reading! :)

On 11/14/18, 3:39 PM,
"
on behalf of Bill Thompson"
<
on behalf of

wrote:

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:36 AM Benn Oshrin

> Hi all,
>
> One of the issues we've been thinking about within the project is our
> release cadence. Our last feature release was 10 months ago (v3.1.0,
> back in February, with two release candidates in January), and before
> that v2.0.0 was released in April 2017. (v3.0.0 was released in
> September 2017, but was mostly a UI refresh.) So basically we have a
> slow release cycle with each release having a bundle of new features.
>
> We could consider changing this process. At the opposite end of the
> spectrum, we could cut a release for each new feature. Or perhaps as a
> middle ground, we could schedule (say) quarterly releases, and then
> whatever is ready (which could be nothing) gets included in that
> release. Regardless, we would continue with bug fix releases as needed
> for issues affecting production instances, or for security issues.
>
> If we were to switch to a faster model, we'd release v3.2.0 ASAP (in
> spite of the large number of issues flagged for this release), most
> likely before the end of November. We'd then begin the accelerated cycle
> after that.
>
> So some questions for the community...
>
> - Has the slow release cycle been problematic for you as a deployer?
> -- If not, why not? (eg: You are comfortable running from develop; you
> are in no rush to get new features; etc.)

No, the release cycle has not been problematic. The software has been
stable and current capabilities sufficient for our current use case.

> - If you would prefer a faster release cycle, would you be more inclined
> to update to each release, or just to those with features or fixes you
> were interested in?

Would prefer stable releases that are supported with bug fixes and
security patches for a reasonable amount of time.