comanage-users - Re: [comanage-users] COmanage Release Cadence

Subject: COmanage Users List

Re: [comanage-users] COmanage Release Cadence

  • From: Bill Thompson <>
  • To: Benn Oshrin <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [comanage-users] COmanage Release Cadence
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 16:38:35 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:N3LPUB8Mvnl4Vv9uRHKM819IXTAuvvDOBiVQ1KB31+McTK2v8tzYMVDF4r011RmVBdqds6oMotGVmpioYXYH75eFvSJKW713fDhBt/8rmRc9CtWOE0zxIa2iRSU7GMNfSA0tpCnjYgBaF8nkelLdvGC54yIMFRXjLwp1Ifn+FpLPg8it2O2+55/ebx9UiDahfLh/MAi4oQLNu8cMnIBsMLwxyhzHontJf+RZ22ZlLk+Nkhj/+8m94odt/zxftPw9+cFAV776f7kjQrxDEDsmKWE169b1uhTFUACC+2ETUmQSkhpPHgjF8BT3VYr/vyfmquZw3jSRMNboRr4oRzut86ZrSAfpiCgZMT457HrXgdF0gK5CvR6tuwBzz4vSbYqINvRxY7ndcMsVSmpPXMlfVyJPDIChYYURE+UMJvpYo5XnqlcSsReyGQuhCeXywTFInH/22qg63vw8HAHH2AwgG88FvmrUrNXyMacSSfu1zK7OzT7eaP5X1zj96JTIchAmpPGBRr1wcc/LxkkuEwPJlEmfqYvgPz6M0OkGrmuV7/J4WO6ximMrtwN8rz2hxsovkYbFmocYx1/H+Ch4z4s4IMO0RFJ+bNOhEpZduTyWOo1rSc04WW5oojw1yrgetJ67YicKzJMnygbaa/OdcoiI5gvvVP+SITtlnX5kd7Cyihiv/US6xe38Uc600FlOriVbiNXDqncN1xnL5siGTPty4Fuh1C6R2w3S9u1JI0U5laTYJpE63rI9k5UevEfCEyL5nUj6krOae0Ah9+Wq5enrf63qppqGOI91jgH+PL4umsu6AekgPAkOUHSb+eS71L3m5kD5T7BKgec3kqndqpzVOcMbpquhDw9Pzokj8wq/Dyuh0NkAhnYIMlRFeBSAj4XyOlHOJuz4Aumlg1Sqjjhr2+7KMqf/DZrQM3jJiK3hcqpl605A1AozyshS6I5TCrEEOv3zXFX+tNPGARMgLgy02PjoCM9m1o4FXWKPA7SZML/JsVOW/O4vIu+MZJMLtzbnLfgq+eLugWEjlVADYKapwMhfVHftNPlgJQ2+enr2g9FJRW0HuAw5ZO3slFCYVzNPPTC/U79qtR8hD4fzJ4bHQsiRgLuExDy8GNUCeW9aCleJOXjtfoSAHfwLbXTBcYdajjUYWO35GMca3ha0uVq/kuI/Iw==

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:36 AM Benn Oshrin

> Hi all,
>
> One of the issues we've been thinking about within the project is our
> release cadence. Our last feature release was 10 months ago (v3.1.0,
> back in February, with two release candidates in January), and before
> that v2.0.0 was released in April 2017. (v3.0.0 was released in
> September 2017, but was mostly a UI refresh.) So basically we have a
> slow release cycle with each release having a bundle of new features.
>
> We could consider changing this process. At the opposite end of the
> spectrum, we could cut a release for each new feature. Or perhaps as a
> middle ground, we could schedule (say) quarterly releases, and then
> whatever is ready (which could be nothing) gets included in that
> release. Regardless, we would continue with bug fix releases as needed
> for issues affecting production instances, or for security issues.
>
> If we were to switch to a faster model, we'd release v3.2.0 ASAP (in
> spite of the large number of issues flagged for this release), most
> likely before the end of November. We'd then begin the accelerated cycle
> after that.
>
> So some questions for the community...
>
> - Has the slow release cycle been problematic for you as a deployer?
> -- If not, why not? (eg: You are comfortable running from develop; you
> are in no rush to get new features; etc.)

No, the release cycle has not been problematic. The software has been
stable and current capabilities sufficient for our current use case.

> - If you would prefer a faster release cycle, would you be more inclined
> to update to each release, or just to those with features or fixes you
> were interested in?

Would prefer stable releases that are supported with bug fixes and
security patches for a reasonable amount of time.