comanage-announce - [COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #6 - March 2022

Subject: COmanage News and Announcements

[COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #6 - March 2022

  • From: Laura Paglione <>
  • To: COmanage Dev <>, ,
  • Subject: [COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #6 - March 2022
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:23:16 -0400

View in a browser

NEWSLETTER

ISSUE #6 | March 24, 2022

Making COmanage Yours

COmanage is SO configurable. This both gives it its powerful flexibility AND sometimes confusing complexity. On the POWERFUL side, there are many ways that you can customize COmanage for your needs from special behaviors, to the attributes collected, to the way that the COmanage applications look and behave. In this month’s newsletter, we highlight some ways that you can make COmange uniquely your own.

Open Office Hours - Apr 1

Do you have a question on deploying or configuring Registry or Match? Want to get some input on a solution architecture design? Want to hear how your colleagues in the community are solving problems similar to yours? Each month you can bring your topics for discussion to the call. No need to register or spin up a presentation (but feel free if it suits you!), just show up! Each session is kicked off by a short conversation starter to help get the discussion started.

Friday, April 1 at 12:00 PM (America/New York) (no registration necessary)
https://illinois.zoom.us/j/84190579924?pwd=a1R6Q3VjWi92SHRETlVDMEthZVJYZz09

IN YOUR TIMEZONE & link for your calendar

April’s Topic Aperitif: Getting Personal(ized) with Themes

Even if you love the default COmanage Registry interface, you may want to make changes in how it looks, perhaps to match the look and feel of your organization’s website. For this month’s “‘topic aperitif” Arlen Johnson, resident UI/UX lead at the COmanage Project, will share a demonstration of how themes can change your end user’s experience with COmanage. Get your theming tips and tricks during this 15 min chat, after which we’ll continue with topics of your choosing. Bring your questions, comments, and suggestions about any topic to office hours with the COmanage project team.

Personalizing COmanage

The look and feel of the user interface with themes is not the only way that you can personalize the system for your needs. COmanage personalization features include:

  • Themes - make the COmanage sites look and feel like your other sites.

  • Dashboards - highlight the functions and information that you want your users to focus on.

  • Message templates - create reusable email templates that can be personalized for recipients.

  • Localization - for language or to change how things are labeled within the interface. This feature can be used to change the spoken language used for the entire interface or to change a few terms used specifically at your organization.

  • CO navigation links - Want to link to other sites from COmanage? This feature is for you!

  • Dictionaries - Customizable lists of words or terms that can be (re)used throughout the Registry. These are often used with Attribute Enumerations.

  • Attribute enumerations - The ability to change free-form fields to be constrained to a selection of pre-determined values.

  • Self-service permissions - With this feature, you can enable your COmange users to manage attributes that may be stored about themselves within COmanage.

You can learn more about each of these features on the new Personalizing COmanage Registry wiki page.

COmanage News

This newsletter section is designed to provide additional transparency on the day-to-day workings of COmanage. Have ideas about other information that we should be including? Let us know on the #incommon-comanage slack channel or by !

Note for upcoming Registry deployments using MySQL

If you are newly deploying COmanage and are planning to use MySQL as your database, this note is for you! MySQL versions 8.0.1 or higher are currently incompatible with Registry because of a new MySQL keyword conflict. As a workaround, you can either use an older version of MySQL or use a different database like MariaDB or PostgreSQL.

If this issue is of interest to you, we encourage you to watch Jira issue CO-2383. We expect this issue to be addressed in Registry version 4.0.3.

Match 1.0.0 - there will be an RC3

COmanage uses Release Candidates (RCs) to get feedback prior to the official release. Match v1.0.0 has had two RCs, each thoroughly tested by users. Given this feedback, we will release a third RC to test changes made on RC2. We will announce the RC3 release via the comanage-announce mailing list.

MOMENT OF ZEN
Gear Facts

The COmanage logo consists of three gears. These gears symbolize how COmanage serves as an engine to provide greater leverage when processing information from external systems and to prepare them for use by other systems. This got us thinking… what don’t we know about gears? Here are a few gear facts from Easy Science for Kids:

  • The first gears were wooden and had wooden teeth. They were used in watermills, windmills, etc.

  • First of all, metal gears were used in clocks.

  • The gears used in cars are called helical.

  • When one gear turns, it also turns the other gear.

  • Gears are used to generate more speed or power or transmit power from one part of a machine to another part.

  • Not all gears are in a circular shape. A few of them have a shape of cone and square as well.

That’s it for this month’s newsletter; keep an eye out for our next one scheduled for late April. We hope to see you at our Open Office Hours on April 1st!

About The COmanage Project

COmanage is an Open Source Project that is focused on streamlining digital lifecycle management for your populations. It consists of two tools: Registry and Match.

COmanage Registry is an identity registry with flexible enrollment and lifecycle management capabilities that helps you meet your identity management objectives using standardized tools and approaches. It can be used as a central person registry, a guest management system, or a collaboration hub for scholarly collaborations.

COmanage Match performs identity de-duplication in order to help minimize the creation of duplicate accounts for the same individual. It provides a heuristic-based system for matching identity records across multiple authoritative systems of record. Match can be used with Registry or as a standalone product complementary to your other tools.

Learn more about the project and its supporters at https://incommon.org/software/comanage/.

Q: Why did I get this awesome email?

A: Because you have subscribed to one of the COmanage mailing lists!
See the COmanage Email Lists wiki page for more details.

  • [COmanage-Announce] COmanage Newsletter #6 - March 2022, Laura Paglione, 03/25/2022