wg-voip - RE: Cisco Call Manager & HP Switches

RE: Cisco Call Manager & HP Switches

  • From: "Bastian, Tim" <>
  • To: "'Wray, Barry A'" <>, "''" <>
  • Subject: RE: Cisco Call Manager & HP Switches
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:30:10 -0400

Barry (and others who may be interested), here is what we are using at Penn
State for our VoIP deployment:

HP ProCurve 4000m switches:
http://www.hp.com/rnd/products/switches/switch4000/overview.htm
- 100bF uplinks used to redundant routers
- MAC address locking used to prevent unauthorized devices/moves
- redundant power supplies to allow UPS maintenance outages
- CDP mapping

Cisco Power Insertion Panels:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/vvda/iptl/cippp_ds.htm
- UL and IEC safety measures to prevent fires on wiring errors
- High Density solution
- Cisco supported solution for inline power (warranty on phones)
- does not break 100m wire length rule

The PIP does Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP). This is what the PIP uses to
query the Ethernet device to determine if it is a phone. The phone code may
be upgraded in the future to work with 802.3af (inline power), but for now
it uses a proprietary Cisco algorithm that is part of CDP.

We are not using the CDP mapping feature (to find out where a particular
phone unit is plugged into the network) in the HP switches.