wg-pic - [wg-pic] PIC related news: Mobile groupchat on the rise; Jabber from the command line

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] PIC related news: Mobile groupchat on the rise; Jabber from the command line

  • From: "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • To: "''" <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] PIC related news: Mobile groupchat on the rise; Jabber from the command line
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:16:03 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Who knew mobile groupchat would be useful and popular? (We did -- three years
ago :o)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/technology/11group.html?_r=2&ref=technology

"Many of the applications seamlessly switch between allowing users to chat
within the service and via SMS, to accommodate people who do not own
smartphones and times when participants wander into areas with weak data
coverage."
--This looks like a small component of our proposed project. I'd say it
gives us some validation in our current direction.

"People have noticed that there is a gap in the market...For a lot of people,
the response is that 'I already like who I know and what I have. I just want
to talk to my close friends and family.' "

"Many of the application makers say they are already seeing growth. GroupMe
says it sends a million text messages each day"

-- It looks like companies keep re-inventing the wheel. I believe XMPP can
do everything that is described in the article, while being compatible with
an existing large user base, etc, etc. Unfortunately, the industry approach
is still "proprietary=profitable".
--Tim

In other *very* geeky news:
I recently stumbled across mcabber, a command line jabber client.
http://mcabber.com/ (screenshot at the bottom of the homepage); supports
SASL/SSL/TLS support, MUC, external action triggers; supports modules
including geolocation, lua, and much more. Packages are aimed at Linux and
BSD users (including Mac OS X), but I see potential in many other (mobile)
operating systems and in some of the work we're proposing.

While looking at mcabber, I also learned about loudmouth:
"Loudmouth is a lightweight and easy-to-use C library for programming with the
Jabber protocol. It's designed to be easy to get started with and yet
extensible to let you do anything the Jabber protocol allows."
https://github.com/mcabber/loudmouth

Admittedly, I'm not a programmer, but I see how this could be very useful in
building our new multi-protocol communication bridge (do we have a name for
our new project yet?)

--Tim

  • [wg-pic] PIC related news: Mobile groupchat on the rise; Jabber from the command line, Callahan, Tim, 03/11/2011