wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Another win for XMPP: Facebook Chat opens up

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Another win for XMPP: Facebook Chat opens up

  • From: Jesse Thompson <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Mark Sirota <>, Tim Callahan <>
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Another win for XMPP: Facebook Chat opens up
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:00:42 -0600

On 2/17/2010 2:06 PM, Mark Sirota wrote:
----- "Tim
Callahan"<>
wrote:
We brought this up a couple times last year, and it looked like it was
going nowhere. Now Facebook Chat has opened up with XMPP. It looks
like the real thing, and it is not client-specific like previous
solutions. (I haven’t tried it yet.)

I'm using it now. It mostly works, but
(1) their server isn't federated
(2) Your Facebook password is sent in the clear
(3) the LHS of the JID is nonsense

it uses your public username if you have set one up. I'm

(4) in some cases you'll receive the chat in both the web interface and
the Jabber client, which is awkward.

Otherwise it's seamless.

(5) it also ignores your client status (away, extended away, etc) so you will always appear as available to your friends even if your client is idle

Mark

--
Jesse Thompson
Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison