wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] PIC-wg call on Thursday, November 5, 2009

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] PIC-wg call on Thursday, November 5, 2009

  • From: Jorj Bauer <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] PIC-wg call on Thursday, November 5, 2009
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 16:50:11 -0500

Notes from today's call. Our next scheduled call will be on Thursday, November 19th.

Attendees: Tom Scavo, Jorj Bauer

Tom notes that my announcement said we meet every Thursday, when we in fact meet the first and third Thursdays of the month. Noted, and I'll correct the announcement.

* [Jorj] Document Wave setup over OpenFire

This documentation, as well as how to sit it on Prosody, should just be a pointer to Google's docs which are now evolving well. I'll dig up the relevant URLs and we can figure out where to put them in our wiki space.

* [Jorj] PICdemo dev system discussion

I need to re-raise the development server question to Internet2, which I'm doing via Elaine right now. Once we have a development server we can stand up our own wave server there for testing purposes. Wave servers have no access control, so there is some risk involved; better to have that risk isolated to a development system.

* [Jorj] XMPP performance testing results

Short synopsis of progress thus far: I'm testing ejabberd, prosody, and openfire.

- ejabberd is the best performer (expected)
- prosody is second
- openfire is third
- all three crash when you hit them too hard
- openfire's crashes are pathological; process doesn't exit, but hangs
- prosody's development is moving forward quickly and 0.7 may be worth recommending

* [Scotty] OpenFire S-S patch/research

I am assuming Scotty hasn't had time to make progress on this since last call.

* [Tim] Future directions for docs

I presume nothing has happened here; Tim was unable to make this call. We'll discuss this further on our next call.

* [Tom] SAML/XMPP discussion

To summarize the email exchange between Tom and Peter (which was a great start), Tom thinks it would be fairly easy to re-implement what is essentially the system we discussed with Rodney a few years back. Shibbolizing a web client would be fairly easy, and has some benefit in a specific set of use cases. We could pursue this, as well as continuing on the road of SAML attribute passing via XMPP in a more generic way (which could be used from native clients). More discussion on the topic is welcome, and I expect that Tom and Peter's email conversation will continue when Peter is available again.

'Till next call,
-- Jorj