wg-pic - [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13, 4pm EDT

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13, 4pm EDT

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13, 4pm EDT
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:13:54 -0400

Next meeting: August 13@4pm EDT

Attendees:

Elaine Lauerman, Tim Callahan, Deke Kassabian

Our goal is to promote our efforts and get it in the hands of more people,

even if we don't have it federated.

How do we promote our work?

- have a paragraph in the next Internet2 member newsletter

- get more universities working together

- make sure web page is updated and point people to the wiki -- highlight the cookbook

- have more work completed by the FMM in October

- is pic web page ready to download pic server information?

- possible survey to the community?

- need to review the landing page [elaine to request update]

- encourage more higher ed installations

FMM

- overview of XMPP

- include a diagram in the cookbook.

Other

- list of higher ed using jabber (there's at least 13)

- document from peter that includes a list of the schools [tim will look for the list]

- minor editing of the pages [tim]

- short paragraph for inclusion in the  August member newsletter [elaine to get deadline]

- can we add a blog to our landing page?  [elaine will investigate]

- update landing page so its generic for future meeting participation

Items to keep on the discussion list:

We hope to continue the recent discussion of SAML, OAUTH and XMPP, and more.

We will also discuss the presentation for fall, any updates on our “loose federation” buildout, and other recent agenda items.

I stumbled across these two items recently.  I haven’t fully tried them out, but they look like they have potential:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape/

A Linux, Windows & OSX vector graphics editor (SVG format)…

*The important thing is that it has a whiteboard feature that connects via Jabber.  Would we like to add a shared whiteboard to our meetings?

http://chatblox.com/

An open source/free-to-use web to jabber helpdesk provider.

*It looks like you can use your existing JIDs/doesn’t require a custom server/service/subscription.  This is open source too.

And these Wikipedia pages (which we should link to in the cookbook):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messaging_clients

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jabber_client_software

Notice that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Messaging#Risks_and_liabilities

describes several risks that PIC@edu has solutions for.

-Tim

--- --- ---

** In addition to the audio call, there is a chatroom.

To join the jabber chatroom for PIC during the call, point your jabber client to

--- --- ---

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern

Occurs: Every Thursday

Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:

 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013

    and enter access code 0125986

 b. To have the system call you, click here:

    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

The PIC homepage: http://pic.internet2.edu

The PIC wiki: https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/Home

  • [wg-pic] PIC WG Call on Thursday August 13, 4pm EDT, Elaine Lauerman, 07/30/2009