wg-pic - (Fwd) Re: Google Wave and federated id

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

(Fwd) Re: Google Wave and federated id

  • From: Neal McBurnett <>
  • To: wg-pic <>
  • Subject: (Fwd) Re: Google Wave and federated id
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:53:41 -0600

Here is what I sent out earlier to the mace list.
-Neal

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 03:24:54PM -0600, Neal McBurnett wrote (to mace):
> I'm at the Google I/O developer conference and heard the announcement
> of Google Wave today - a new communication/collaboration protocol,
> service and open source code base. Very cool, mixing email, im,
> sharing rich media, and a platform for blogging, discussion, wiki-like
> editing, collaboration on documents, rich apis for games,
> collaboration, with extensibility to interface to other stuff like
> plain old email, twitter, facebook, bug workflows, etc
>
> It is a federated service with federated identity in there some how -
> not clear yet how....
>
> Start digging at
>
> http://www.waveprotocol.org/
> http://www.waveprotocol.org/whitepapers/google-wave-architecture
>
> etc.
>
> Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:05:24 -0600, Neal McBurnett wrote (to mace):

A major part of this new approach to collaboration is the General
Verifiable Federation protocol that Ben Laurie and Lea Kissner wrote up:

http://www.waveprotocol.org/whitepapers/wave-protocol-verification

http://www.links.org/?p=625

The authentication aspects of this look pretty interesting, though I
haven't made it thru the whole paper yet:

http://www.links.org/?p=628

http://www.waveprotocol.org/whitepapers/wave-protocol-verification/Generallyverifiablewaveprotocol.pdf?attredirects=0

In general the federation model is local auth in an unspecified manner
to wave provider services (wsps) which then talk via a new xmpp
protocol, and I recall some sort of signatures on hashes of updates to
documents ("operations").

Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/

----- End forwarded message -----