wg-pic - PIC WG call notes May 21, 2009, next call June 4

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

PIC WG call notes May 21, 2009, next call June 4

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: PIC WG call notes May 21, 2009, next call June 4
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:28:11 -0400

Attendees: Elaine Lauerman, Deke Kassabian, Tim Callahan, Jorj Bauer, Scotty Logan

Short term goals:

- revise PIC page

- outline server instructions

ACTION: give a talk at the FMM, early experiences with pic@edu talk, Tim will submit

http://events.internet2.edu/2009/fall-mm/calls.cfm#proposals

* demonstrate that it works across multiple servers

Website update:
- move content to a wiki
- leave 'about' and 'contact' information and move the rest to a wiki and a prominent project link
- simple text needed, Jorj will put together
Action: reference this book where we have Rodney's stuff on the wiki.
XMPP: The Definitive Guide
Building Real-Time Applications with Jabber Technologies
By Peter Saint-Andre, Kevin Smith, Remko Tronçon
April 2009

ACTION: Deke and Jorj to extend an invitation to Peter to join a call

ACTION: moc up of PIC page to Elaine - Jorj?

ACTION: get a blurb from Tim on Stanford's activities

Next steps in moving to deployment.
-  add a chapter in the cookbook, proof of concept of servers
- who's issuing these certs?
- who wants to participate?
- need to poll of interested parties
- do a wiki page somewhere and let people post their certs to it
- lots of schools that have stuff out there (post on a page)
- should we issue our own root ca? share certs first, demonstrate an easy implementation.
- Internet2 server and Penn server share the two certs. Scotty will trust those two, after we set this up
- Tim will re-engage Duke, and others

6 month goals:

- session for the FMM

The overarching theme for this fall's meeting is: “Collaborations and Resource Sharing in Research and Education: How the economic crisis

is fueling the expansion of networking technology, fostering global communities, and driving social change.” Presentations that focus on

the elements of network-based collaboration, including--but not limited to--virtual organizations, social networking, and software

collaboration tools are encouraged.

- Implementing the trusted server network

- Stanford (welcome to the group!) has requirements for secure end-end IM communications; Share our configuration recommendations

(which will be included in the cookbook.)

- SAML authentication

- openfire grouper integration

- end-to-end security

- talk with PSA regarding end-to-end trust protocols

Other:

K12 wouldn't be able to implement on their own, maybe we could come up with a virtual image that people could try in a cloud

service. Work with comange folks and use their stuff with openfire.  Comanage offers a better scale.

next call: June 4

** In addition to the audio call, there is a chatroom.

To join the jabber chatroom for PIC during the call, point your jabber client to

-----

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern

Occurs: Every Thursday

Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:

 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013

    and enter access code 0125986

 b. To have the system call you, click here:

    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Our homepage is here:

http://pic.internet2.edu

and our wiki can be found here:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/Home

  • PIC WG call notes May 21, 2009, next call June 4, Elaine Lauerman, 06/03/2009