wg-pic - Muckl groupchat client

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Muckl groupchat client

  • From: Jesse Thompson <>
  • To: ,
  • Subject: Muckl groupchat client
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:00:31 -0500

Does anyone out there use the Muckl groupchat client?

http://blog.jwchat.org/muckl/

It looks like it works very well. By offering a groupchat-only client, it allows us to offer a groupchat service to students without having to support a full p2p jabber client that they don't really use.

I have modified it to support single sign on, and it will sign an authenticated user into any MUC room provided as a GET param.

e.g.
https://wiscmail.wisc.edu/groupchat?room=foobar
https://wiscmail.wisc.edu/groupchat?

So, with this design, any of our campus services/faculty/staff can link to any room they see fit. It can be used for classroom discussions, study help, virtual office hours, exam prep, in-class questions, etc. The possibilities are endless especially if you consider non-class related usage.

The rooms aren't provisioned ahead of time, so we will need to write a bot to periodically go through all of the rooms in the courses domain and reset the room ownership.

It doesn't look like Muckl is under active development, so if anyone else is using it or planning to use it, we should probably coordinate on any modifications and extensions we make.

Jesse

--
Jesse Thompson
Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison