wg-pic - [wg-pic] Notes for March 19th call

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] Notes for March 19th call

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [wg-pic] Notes for March 19th call
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:22:42 -0400

Next meeting April 2nd

March 19 attendees:
Jorj, Deke, Elaine, Tim, Mark (late arrival)

Web updates next week.

- Tim wants to put together a teaser for the non-technical people
- highlight project pic.edu  (use a paragraph from Deke's document)
- link to proto cookbook
- Tim permission to link to Rodney's document - Project Pictures (as a resource) use his market momentum
- ,internet2.edu  is the correct link

Internet2 staff brown bag April 13th at noon - Tim (use Adium)

- Jorj recommendations creating accounts on our server
  * add the laptop bar room to the list of rooms

Attending the member meeting are Jorj, Deke, Tim

Deke and Tim prototype the Second Life discussion for the PIC WG meeting

Elaine to check on room request.  Would like a monitor and small set
of speakers.

March 5th notes:
Mark info in the wiki is the prototype cookbook.

PIC package available on landing page
* we'll use instructions from Deke
* add another link to Mark's cookbook
* need readme page for the non technical audience -- action: Tim

session agenda for smm - take something from the text for the
second life.  eg. state of the art technologies.
integrated presence

Set up brown bag with Tim to assist Internet2 staff to get it set up.
week of April 13th.

- pic.edu distribution
- get rid of expired information
- Deke sent info last week  -- is the document ready to post? Post after readme section is created.

- reference doc post Rodney's document?
- think about other projects that would be of interest to the community, bring to the group
for discussion then post to the website.

Tim would like to update the tone and direction.  Content arrangement would be appropriate
for next member meeting.  Keep as much history as possible.  One or two screen is best.
We should create links to some of the recent stuff.
Timeline with content.
Client recommendation page or link.

SMM
- rooms names are the same as last year's SMM [Jorj to revise if necessary]
- submit a request for side meeting for late afternoon [Elaine] -- done
- side meeting session should have a mic in the room
- Rodney would like participate if we meet late afternoon.
**look into USB Chat50 speakerphone (we could use for future meetings too) [Elaine] -- done Internet2 has one
** use Second LIfe as the virtual meeting space? (would be a high degree of difficulty)
++ do a demo within the working group meeting at the smm
++as we get closer to the smm ask members on the list if someone would like to connect that way
** remote participants will be few

Potential partnerships:
Tim to send invite to kick off discussion.

- Shibboleth  [Tim leading discussion]
* is this a direction we'd like to move to?
* have this discussion during the SMM
* who should we invite someone to join a call? Scott Cantor or Steve Carmody?
* Scott Logan from Stanford Co-manage package (Deke and Tim had a conversation with him)
tim collect thoughts on how you'd like to work with them. Possibly get Michael Geddes on a call to get
the latest news.
- web enabling xmtp or some messaging service without using the web client.
- what's the latest about shibb nonweb applications?
- what is the business case for nonweb apps?
- tech level functionally interoperable
- do we have enough information to ask the right questions?
- federated authentication in a non web enviroment.
- Eduroom ask Chris Misra
- possibly schedule a casual lunch or dinner conversation at the SMM
- need to schedule a conversation with the primary shib guy.
* what are the advantages we'd hope to get from it?
* good discussion for SMM but not a priority at this time