wg-pic - RE: [wg-pic] Instant Messaging Proves Useful In Reducing Workplace Interruption

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

RE: [wg-pic] Instant Messaging Proves Useful In Reducing Workplace Interruption

  • From: "Steven C. Blair" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [wg-pic] Instant Messaging Proves Useful In Reducing Workplace Interruption
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:57:18 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Interesting article. Thanks. I was glad to see the article reinforced what
I've experienced specifically "The key to unlocking the effects of instant
messaging lies in how people are using the technology, Garrett said.

Instead of dropping in unexpectedly, many are using the technology to check
in with coworkers to see when they are available. Many also use the
technology to get quick answers to general questions or to inquire about
current work tasks instead of engaging in longer face-to-face conversations.

We find that employees are quite strategic in their use of instant messaging.
They are using it to check in with their colleagues to find out if they're
busy before interrupting them in a more intrusive way,"

In my opinion this is what PIC is about. Knowing what skills are exist and
how/when to communicate with those who possess the skills is good stuff.