wg-pic - [wg-pic] March 6, PIC minutes - next call March 20, 4pm

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] March 6, PIC minutes - next call March 20, 4pm

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] March 6, PIC minutes - next call March 20, 4pm
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:07:33 -0400

Next call: March 20, 2008
Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern
Occurs: Every Thursday
Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:
 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013
    and enter access code 0125986
 b. To have the system call you, click here:
    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Attendees:

Tim Callahan (chair) - Michigan
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Deke Kassabian - Penn
Jorj Bauer - Penn
Elaine Lauerman (scribe) - Internet2

*Action Items as of March 5th

PRIORITY ACTION ITEMS:
[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will find out what the demo-planning deadlines are, e.g.,
when we need to have information ready for inclusion in printed materials or
posting on the web site.
(2/21) -
- Member Update due April 7th
Is this what we want submitted?
The internet2 presence and integrated communications working group
will be running a live interactive demo of presence and integrated
communications technology, see our web site for more information.
[need to include url]
- sign with graphic and text due March 28th
- pocket guide inclusion due March 28th
- web page due March 28th
http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/index.html
http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/200404-trial.html

- How should we market the demo?  Get details about the demo prepared for SMM document inclusion.
[ACTION] (2/6) Deke will put together group collaboration for content
2/22 -- (1) Good technology, ready to be used by lots of people
(2) Good marketing, to get people to participate
*inclusion into the pocket guide and handout and the registration table (Elaine to get approval)
- Need to articulate how identity fits into the demo (open enrollment, kick the tires, what the demo is about).
- Need to let members know how easy it is to set up
- Should a schedule be created for table coverage?
- Communicate what our goal is 'every campus running a jabber server' discuss why this would be
a good thing.
- not using any federated package for the demonstration.
- demo has open registration
(3) Who's going to help with the inevitable problems?
- Jorj will provision accounts on the Jabber server,  who will provide coverage at the help desk?

Check out the University of Pennsylvania's IM server http://www.upenn.edu/computing/im/
to see out they've set up their server.

- We've reserved a SMM Tuesday breakfast slot  for a PIC side meeting.
[ACTION] what do we need to do to prepare for it?

- Ship equipment from Penn on 4/16 for 4/18 arrival
- On-site technical requirements and tasks
 * network configuration done on 4/19
 * confirm no port blocking in meeting rooms
 * configuration will not effect networks outside the Internet2 meeting network
 * two boxes (one a spare)
 * need a couple of ip addresses
 * Randy Stout would like someone to join the K20 Advisory Council for a primer on PIC and how
    members can participate.
 * demo hours Monday - Wednesday (need to identify start and end times)
 * have a PIC table set up to promote demo and field questions
 * have handouts available at the PIC table and possibly something at the registration table
 * set up account for 3 days

[ACTION] Elaine to confirm with Dan the domain name and address.
The requested name is confirmed. Still need to get the address once Dan
is ready to dole them out.

[ACTION] (1/17) Rodney will continue working to document hardware requirements
for production versions of PIC.edu.
(2/21) in process - Rodney is still gathering information. Jorj has the Jabber server up
and running. An installation guide needs to be created so members will know how to
set up a server on their campuses.  We will use as the MUX server.

[ACTION] (1/17) Tim will launch an email discussion of what to call the PIC.edu
service, in context of how we want to present the demo.
(2/21) still outstanding.  This should reflect what it is and how it differs from commercial
offerings. This need to be decided soon so we can get it into print for the SMM.

[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will send wg-pic a proposal for which features the initial
PIC.edu client table should cover.
(2/21) still outstanding

[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will ask SIP.edu participants for their insights on how to
proceed with PIC.edu, and in particular how to handle user generation and
management.
(2/7) this will be done during the SMM and after the demo

Future items for discussion:
- need IDP on campus if not available use Protect Network

[ACTION] (7/12) Mark will prepare a simple demo of anonymous and non-anonymous
versions of moderated and unmoderated Jabber chatrooms, for a PIC call in early
2008.
(2/7) keep as a place holder, not a priority at this point.

[ACTION] 2/7 Mike LaHaye joined the call to let the group know how Internet2 will set up shib accounts.
Will we use shib accounts? This is an ongoing discussion.
(2/28) LDAP or Comanage decision will be made April 1st.

- need to get shib credentials to a Jabber server

[ACTION] All - Determine who can manage a production server after the SMM

[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will contact Dorothy Williams and Ed Humphrey about working
on PIC.edu server documentation.
(2/7) on hold for now

- cookbook should include notes on "how to"
[ACTION]2/21 Post Jabber implementation from Penn, MIT, Wisc and Washington to the wiki (Deke, Tim and Dennis)
The plan is to collect contact names at the SMM. We should make available an online survey for members to complete so
future updates can be made based on feedback received.

- Should we use a web based client? Use jw-chat or jeti? Come up with the top 2 possibilities.
Have a table of potential clients based on operating system. Get web based client to work.
We need to point out the differences between the demo last time it was showcased and
now. Last time was SIP based this time is XMPP.

- Sponsorship issues; How can institutions participate? Could/should Internet2 take on the role of
creating a Jabber accounts?  Who is providing the server?  Someone needs to take on enabling
presence service, who?
[ACTION] Elaine to talk to Ellen Vaughan about the possibility of a corporate member donating
equipment for a PIC server.  Maybe Google who is already a member otherwise maybe approach
Jabber.com, their server is very good. It would be nice to get a number of licences from them.
Elaine will investigate but a proposal needs to be written up for Ellen to approach
a corporate member so she understands the project scope.

submitted by: Elaine Lauerman

Elaine Lauerman, Program Manager, Internet2 Events and The Commons
Internet2
office: +1-734-913-4253 | mobile: +1-734-604-8064  |  fax:  +1-734-913-4255

Be part of the future!
2008 Internet2 Strategic Planning
http://www.internet2.edu/strategicplanning

  • [wg-pic] March 6, PIC minutes - next call March 20, 4pm, Elaine Lauerman, 03/20/2008