wg-pic - [wg-pic] February 21, PIC minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] February 21, PIC minutes

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] February 21, PIC minutes
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:24:20 -0500

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern
Occurs: Every Thursday
Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:
 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013
    and enter access code 0125986
 b. To have the system call you, click here:
    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Attendees:

Tim Callahan (chair) - Michigan
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Deke Kassabian - Penn
Jorj Bauer - Penn
Denis Baron - MIT
Elaine Lauerman (scribe) - Internet2

*Action Items as of February 21*

[ACTION] (1/31) Deke will ask Dennis Baron about the future of SIP.edu.
(2/21) SIP.edu hasn't had critical mass. We need to promote SIP.edu workshops.
There seems to be more interest in Europe and Asia than in the U.S.  The development
work going on is not in the .edu space.

[ACTION] (1/31) Mark will document how to automate account creation in Openfire.
(2/21) done

[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will find out what the demo-planning deadlines are, e.g.,
when we need to have information ready for inclusion in printed materials or
posting on the web site.
(2/21) - technical requirements due February 29th
- Member Update due March 7th
Is this what we want submitted?
The internet2 presence and integrated communications working group
will be running a live interactive demo of presence and integrated
communications technology, see our web site for more information.
[need to include url]
- sign with graphic and text due April 1st
- pocket guide inclusion due April 1st
- web page due April 11th
http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/index.html
http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/200404-trial.html

[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will see if the Mac Minis are available for PIC to use at
the Member Meeting, and send out the specs if so.
(2/21) Shipped to Deke, verify delivery.

[ACTION] (1/17) Rodney will continue working to document hardware requirements
for production versions of PIC.edu.
(2/21) in process - Who is willing to manage the server?

[ACTION] (1/17) Tim will launch an email discussion of what to call the PIC.edu
service, in context of how we want to present the demo.
(2/21) still outstanding.  This should reflect what it is and how it differs from commercial
offerings.

[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will contact Dorothy Williams and Ed Humphrey about working
on PIC.edu server documentation.
(2/7) on hold for now

[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will send wg-pic a proposal for which features the initial
PIC.edu client table should cover.
(2/21) still outstanding

[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will put the draft PIC.edu project objectives on the wiki
and invite people to start contributing there.
(2/7) no change, will try to get done in the next week

[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will ask SIP.edu participants for their insights on how to
proceed with PIC.edu, and in particular how to handle user generation and
management.
(2/7) on hold, more conversation is needed

[ACTION] (7/12) Mark will prepare a simple demo of anonymous and non-anonymous
versions of moderated and unmoderated Jabber chatrooms, for a PIC call in early
2008.
(2/7) keep as a place holder, not a priority at this point.

[ACTION] Elaine to get wiki set up and send the links to the group
(2/27) the wiki was already set up by Ben Chinowsky. As a reminder here's the link
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/Home

*Discussion*

SMM task list
- Setup 4 chat rooms

- How will we create accounts? Use federated id? Possibly use campus identity management?

- Should we use a web based client? Use jw-chat or jeti? Come up with the top 2 possibilities.

- How should we market the demo?  Get details about the demo prepared for SMM document inclusion.
[ACTION] (2/6) Deke will put together group collaboration for content
2/22 -- (1) Good technology, ready to be used by lots of people
(2) Good marketing, to get people to participate
(3) Good participation by the workgroup members, to help with the inevitable problems.

- Sponsorship issues; How can institutions participate? Could/should Internet2 take on the role of
creating a Jabber accounts?  Who is providing the server?  Someone needs to take on enabling
presence service, who?
[ACTION] Elaine to talk to Ellen Vaughan about the possiblity of a corporate member donating
equipment for a PIC server.  Maybe Google who is already a member otherwise maybe approach
Jabber.com. Elaine will investigate but a proposal needs to be written up for Ellen to approach
a corporate member so she understands the project scope.

[ACTION] 2/7 Mike LaHaye joined the call to let the group know how Internet2 will set up shib accounts.
Will we use shib accounts? This is an ongoing discussion.
2/21 Get an update from Mike LaHaye.

- Elaine to manage logistics for SMM (request table and location)
[ACTION] Elaine to request a table to appropriate Internet2 staff - Done 2/20

- Ship equipment from Penn on 4/16 for 4/18 arrival
- On-site technical requirements and tasks
 * network configuration done on 4/19
 * confirm no port blocking in meeting rooms
 * configuration will not effect networks outside the Internet2 meeting network
 * two boxes (one a spare)
 * need a couple of ip addresses
 * Randy Stout would like someone to join the K20 Advisory Council for a primer on PIC and how
    members can participate.
 * demo hours Monday - Wednesday (need to identify start and end times)
 * have a PIC table set up to promote demo and field questions
 * have handouts available at the PIC table and possibly something at the registration table

- Elaine to reserve a PIC side meeting for the SMM
[ACTION] done, 4/22 breakfast slot

- need IDP on campus if not available use Protect Network

- need to get shib credentials to a Jabber server

- cookbook should include notes on "how to"
[ACTION]2/21 Post Jabber implementation from Penn, MIT, Wisc and Washington to the wiki (Deke, Tim and Denis)

submitted by: Elaine Lauerman

Elaine Lauerman, Program Manager, Internet2 Events and The Commons
Internet2
office: +1-734-913-4253 | mobile: +1-734-604-8064  |  fax:  +1-734-913-4255

Be part of the future!
2008 Internet2 Strategic Planning
http://www.internet2.edu/strategicplanning