wg-pic - draft January 24 PIC minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

draft January 24 PIC minutes

  • From: "Ben Chinowsky" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: draft January 24 PIC minutes
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:47:50 -0800

*Action Items as of January 28*

[ACTION] (1/24) Deke will draft a proposal for future real-time communications
efforts in Internet2, for input to the Strategic Planning process.
[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will find out what the demo-planning deadlines are,
e.g.,
when we need to have information ready for inclusion in printed materials or
posting on the web site.
[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will let Internet2 Technical Support know that their
help
will be needed to manage interactions with the Member Meeting network.
[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will see if the Mac Minis are available for PIC to use
at
the Member Meeting, and send out the specs if so.
[ACTION] (1/17) Rodney will continue working to document hardware requirements
for the demo and production versions of PIC.edu.
[ACTION] (1/17) Tim will launch an email discussion of what to call the
PIC.edu
service, in context of how we want to present the demo.
[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will contact Dorothy Williams and Ed Humphrey about
working
on PIC.edu server documentation.
[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will send wg-pic a proposal for which features the initial
PIC.edu client table should cover.
[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will put the draft PIC.edu project objectives on the wiki
and invite people to start contributing there.
[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will ask SIP.edu participants for their insights on how to
proceed with PIC.edu, and in particular how to handle user generation and
management.
[ACTION] (10/4) Peter will find out if Horizon Wimba can interoperate with
other
XMPP services, in particular whether it can do server-to-server federation.
[ACTION] (7/12) Mark will prepare a simple demo of anonymous and non-anonymous
versions of moderated and unmoderated Jabber chatrooms, for a PIC call in
early
2008.

*Attendees*

Tim Callahan (chair) - Michigan
Deke Kassabian - Penn
Jorj Bauer- Penn
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Elaine Lauerman - Internet2
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2

*Discussion*

Elaine Lauerman joined the call; she will be replacing Ben Chinowsky as the
Staff Liaison and scribe for the PIC working group. Elaine works out of the
main
Internet2 offices in Ann Arbor. Her title is Program Manager, Deployment and
Infrastructure Delivery.

Ben noted the launch of the Internet2 Strategic Planning process -- see
http://www.internet2.edu/strategicplanning/ , especially the wiki linked
from the left-hand sidebar. [ACTION] Deke will draft a proposal for future
real-time communications efforts in Internet2, for input to the Strategic
Planning process.

The group continued planning for the PIC.edu demo at the Member Meeting.
- Tim's demo proposal has been approved. [ACTION] Elaine will find out what
the
demo-planning deadlines are, e.g., when we need to have information ready for
inclusion in printed materials or posting on the web site. [ACTION] Elaine
will
let Internet2 Technical Support know that their help will be needed to manage
interactions with the Member Meeting network.
- The group reaffirmed its decision to use an on-site server if we can secure
appropriate equipment. Elaine has two Mac Minis that might be sufficient.
[ACTION] Elaine will see if the Mac Minis are available for PIC to use at the
Member Meeting, and send out the specs if so.
- Tim asked if we should set up chatrooms for the plenaries or just for the
smaller, more interactive sessions. Elaine suggested we do at least one
plenary,
to provide an alternative to going up to the microphone to make comments or
ask
questions; there was general agreement.
- Rodney and Jorj noted that *identity assurance* is the main thing that will
set PIC.edu apart from other Jabber services like Google Talk. There was
general
agreement that this needs to be central to the group's pitch for participation
in the demo, and to what we call the service. Rodney noted that there are two
names to consider -- the JID and the server name -- and that it's mostly the
JID
we need to be concerned with in this respect.

  • draft January 24 PIC minutes, Ben Chinowsky, 01/28/2008