wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] xmpp history out-of-order - server-to-server sequencing

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] xmpp history out-of-order - server-to-server sequencing

  • From: Neal McBurnett <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] xmpp history out-of-order - server-to-server sequencing
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 15:50:25 -0600

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 03:29:40PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Neal McBurnett wrote:
> >I noted that the history that I got in our multi-user chat session
> >today was out-of-order. It looks like it is a known bug, not even
> >limited to chat rooms. See
> >
> > http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/JM-835
> >
> >Surprising....
>
> Which server implementations are used along the communications path?

Thanks again for your prompt and informative input!!

I'm connected using via my gmail jabber id to

which I think runs wildfire. (And I'm using gaim v 1.5.1cvs).
Is it possible to check server version information remotely?

> The XMPP specifications require that a server must guarantee in-order
> delivery through a server, but not all implementations comply because
> it's non-trivial.

I see this related thread also:
http://blogs.sun.com/mridul/entry/in_order_delivery_in_xmpp

but a more authoritative spec reference or discussion would be of
interest.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/