wg-pic - galago - presence framework

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

galago - presence framework

  • From: Neal McBurnett <>
  • To: wg-pic <>
  • Subject: galago - presence framework
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:49:17 -0600 (MDT)

This seems relevant to our interests.

I heard about Galago in a recent Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue8

Galago is a "presence framework" designed to allow easy data access
about people and their availablity to applications. This includes
such concepts as when writing an email, you can see if that person is
online or not, much like GMail does. You can find out more about
Galago at its website: [WWW] http://www.galago-project.org/about.php

http://www.galago-project.org/about.php

Galago is a desktop presence framework, designed to transmit presence
information between programs. To put it in simpler terms, it takes
information on who is online and their away/idle states from an
instant messenger (such as gaim) or other similar programs and lets
other programs (such as Ximian's Evolution) to make use of it.

The advantage of such a framework is that it brings your programs
closer together. When you receive an e-mail from a friend who is in
your buddy list, you'll be able to immediately tell their online
status, for example.

Galago is desktop-neutral, and will in time provide easy to use
widgets for Gtk+ and Qt applications. Currently, Gtk+ widgets are
available in our Subversion repository under the module name
libgalago-gtk. Qt widgets will be available in time.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged. GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60