wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] selective presence

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] selective presence

  • From: Mark Sirota <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] selective presence
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:45:41 -0400

--On Monday, August 7, 2006 5:14 PM -0600 Peter Saint-Andre <> wrote:
For rich presence, JEP-0163: Personal Eventing via Pubsub
discusses a lot of this.

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0163.html

Yes, that's the go-forward technology for extended presence
(geolocation, mood, activity, tune, and the like). We're working to wrap
that up real soon now because a lot of developers are excited about the
possibilities.

So, Peter, is this the right place to be looking? Any other sage
advice on this general topic?

I think you're on the right track! :-)

Peter, while we've got your attention...

I'm in the process of developing a "presence manager", which is intended
to be a standalone Jabber client that handles extended presence
(geolocation, mood, activity, tune, etc.)

The idea is that you'd run this alongside your standard Jabber client
which you use for chat/voice type interactions. The existing such
clients aren't too sophisticated about extended presence, so this gives
us a way to use extended presence without persuading the client community
to see things our way.

So my question: Is there anything fundamentally flawed about this
concept? Is it okay to have two Jabber clients logged onto the server
using the same credentials (but probably with different resource names),
with the extended presence messages generated by one via pubsub stanzas
while the other sends simple presence messages with presence stanzas?

I'd hate to get too far along in this project if there's some reason why
it's a non-starter...

Thanks for your advice!

Mark
--
Mark Sirota, Associate Director, Network Engineering and Services
University of Pennsylvania, Information Systems and Computing