wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] olpc and presence

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] olpc and presence

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] olpc and presence
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:55:28 -0400

Looks like someone is finally making the leap to incorporate presence as a part of the social fabric rather than isolating it to collaborative workspaces. I like how the one-laptop-per-child project is taking this kind of risk in their design because they don't have to worry about pleasing everyone at once. If they end up pleasing more than these lucky children, which it looks like they can do, kudos!

Thanks for the links, Neal.

Candace

Neal McBurnett wrote:
After reading an interview about the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC)
initiative, at http://lwn.net/Articles/188073/

I looked at the "sugar" environment and came to a posting by
Christopher Blizzard about how presence will be part of the
basic environment of the machines, rather than a separate application:

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=211

This image describes what we're thinking about presence. I talked
briefly about this in a previous posting but this is the first time
that we've really taken a step to make it part of the
environment. In today's desktops, "chat" is a program. It stands
alone. You can talk to your friends, you can paste text, you can even
video conference, but as a program it is completely separated from
the rest of the programs that you use on a day to day basis. In fact,
if you go and download one of our daily images, chat is still trapped
in a tab of its own.

Once of our stated goals is to create a social environment for the
kids. So what we're trying to do is to turn the idea of presence and
who is around into a basic element of the environment. Other programs
that are also being used in the environment can assume that there's
a method to find other people and what they can do. We hope that this
will create an entire application environment that encourages
collaboration and sharing.

So at an implementation level, what we're going to do is make the
presence pane something that's always around. To save screen real
estate it will probably slide in and out from the side of the screen,
but if you want to choose how to share a document with a friend or
send a message to someone that slide pane will pop up and let you
pick which one of your friends you want to send it to.

Think of the use-cases when these kids get to college....

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged. GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60