wg-pic - (Fwd) Re: jabber, presence, rosters, etc

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

(Fwd) Re: jabber, presence, rosters, etc

  • From: Neal McBurnett <>
  • To: wg-pic <>
  • Subject: (Fwd) Re: jabber, presence, rosters, etc
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:26:15 -0600

I'm forwarding this for Peter, who wasn't successful in subscribing to
the group.

-Neal

----- Forwarded message from Peter Saint-Andre
<>
-----

To: Neal McBurnett

From: Peter Saint-Andre
<>
Subject: Re: jabber, presence, rosters, etc
Jabber-ID:

Attempting to reply to the list. Please forward if unsuccessful.

Neal McBurnett wrote:
> We're expecting that Peter Saint-Andre can join us tomorrow.
>
> Here are some things that have come up that Peter can help with:
>
> how to make sharing of rosters easier, and/or ldap and rosters

Many XMPP server implementations tie in directly to LDAP databases, but
that's more of an implementation issue than a protocol issue.

Sharing of rosters is discussed somewhat here (not yet sure what your
requirements are):

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0144.html

> how to simplify sharing of permission for presence exchange, e.g. in
> workgroups

See above (maybe).

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0080.html

Also http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0112.html

> update on jingle in clients

It's on the way. :-)

> security update

We have TLS for channel encryption, I'm working to make that more
widespread (probably by having the Jabber Software Foundation, or an
initiative thereof, act as an intermediate certification authority for
the XMPP network).

We have SASL for authentication, that includes things like Kerberos in
many server implementations.

We don't have one agreed-upon method for end to end encryption. Previous
attempts have included OpenPGP and S/MIME. The focus now is a form of
opportunistic encryption that is similiar to off-the-record messaging
(OTR, perhaps familiar from Gaim), but that enables us to encrypt the
entire packet, not just the plain text message body:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0116.html

Hope that helps. I'm looking forward to our discussion.

Peter

> [...]
> summarize
> Columbia's PIC-SER experience on a future call.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8 - in progress) Candace will add a wiki document on
> strict vs.
> loose routing.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8 - in progress) Rodger will try to reach his contact at
> Barracuda Networks.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8 - in progress) Rodger will contact Erik Lagerway.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8 - in progress) Rodger and Joe will write up some use
> cases
> for federations.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8) Rodger will try to organize a call with CounterPath.
>
> (low priority)
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8) Candace and Jamey will initiate an email discussion of
> their
> proposal to modify the SER PA module so it can do presence via SUBSCRIBE and
> NOTIFY, to accommodate clients that don't do PUBLISH.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8) Jamey will enable eyeBeam to use presence info to decide
> whether messages should go straight to voicemail.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8) Jamey will update the interface requirements document.
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8) People will research skiff-like offerings from various
> companies:
> - Dennis - Newbury
> - Rodger - Airespace (now part of Cisco)
> - Jeremy - Eckehau (via Walt Magnussen)
> [ACTION] (pre-12/8) Ben T. will write a short document describing the
> motivation
> for the paths-in-the-snow approach to PIC development.
>
> *Attendees*
>
> Rodger Will (chair) - Ford
> Joe Rork - Ford
> Mark Sirota - Penn
> Dennis Baron - MIT
> Candace Holman - Harvard
> Neal McBurnett - Internet2
> Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2
>
> *Discussion*
>
> Mark noted that while JEP-0144 describes something like roster push, he
> hasn't
> been able to find any servers or clients that support it. There does seem
> to be
> a lot of discussion of this in online forums though, so support may be
> forthcoming. [ACTION] Mark will find out if jabberd 1.x supports roster
> push.
>
> Dennis called the group's attention to the MIT iSPOTS location service (see
> http://ispots.mit.edu/). It's not clear if or how PIC could make use of
> this.
>
> The group noted several standards relevant to doing presence in Jabber:
> - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3921.txt, section 2.2
> - http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0112.html, in particular the
> references at the end
> - http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0080.html
> - http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0118.html
> [ACTION] Mark will try using Applescript to specify an arbitrary presence
> doc to publish.
>
> The group spent the last part of the call experimenting with presence in

- --
Peter Saint-Andre