wg-pic - sip-communicator, H.350, NIST client

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

sip-communicator, H.350, NIST client

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: sip-communicator, H.350, NIST client
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:21:57 -0500

I would like to remove this action item from my list: [ACTION] (pre-12/8) Candace will look into Tyler Johnson's H.350-enabled version of the NIST client.
I believe the NIST client, sip-communicator [1], will be useful because it is
open-source java, and it can support both SIMPLE and Jabber using a java
ProtocolService Implementation, and runs on Win/Linux/Mac/BSD. Other items
in the queue: TURN, iLBC, etc! But I haven't tried it yet, and there are
some youthful registration bugs documented, like a problem with SRV and
outbound proxy use [3] . In conclusion, I can't see any reference to
H.350-enabled versions on the sip-communicator development roadmap [2].

Here are some more research results:

There is some information on H.350 on the Internet2 website [4]. H.350 is a directory services architecture for multimedia conferencing for H.323, SIP, XMPP, and other protocols, and is based on an idea developed by the Video Middleware working group. Some of the links on this site are broken, but interestingly there exists a H.350.7 standard, the Proposed Directory Services Architecture for XMPP

Candace

[1] https://sip-communicator.dev.java.net/
[2] http://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Development/Roadmap
[3]https://sip-communicator-1-0-draft.dev.java.net/issues/buglist.cgi?component=sip-communicator-1-0-draft&issue_status=UNCONFIRMED&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED
[4] http://middleware.internet2.edu/video/docs/H.350_/

  • sip-communicator, H.350, NIST client, Candace Holman, 02/23/2006