wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Tolly's Skype critique

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Tolly's Skype critique

  • From: Thomas Butter <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Tolly's Skype critique
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:48:02 +0200

On 9/29/05, Ben Teitelbaum
> That seems like a fair definition of "true peer-to-peer" to me. One
> of the big reasons that universities may see a lot of Skype traffic is
> the use of public IP addresses. Skype needs a share of its users to
> be non-NATted to serve as media relays for hosts behind
> tricky-to-traverse NATs.

If someone reverse engineers the skype protocol it would be possible to
use these media relays as a real big anonymizing proxy network for a
filesharing tool by
simulating skype calls over it.

Depending on the way those relays are implemented it could also be possible to
proxy arbitrary data (e.g. smtp proxies).

If that happens it could be a real problem for many skype users.
--
Thomas Butter
http://t-butter.de/

  • Re: [wg-pic] Tolly's Skype critique, Thomas Butter, 10/04/2005