wg-pic - Re: Geolocation articles

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: Geolocation articles

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To: , ,
  • Subject: Re: Geolocation articles
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:08:38 -0400

Candace,

Thanks for the pointers. As far as I know, these sort of heuristic-
based location schemes began with CAIDA's NetGeo, which I played with
years ago while the project was still active. Now, there are all
sorts of dot-coms doing it (as [1] and [2] mention). NetGeo used
latency only as a sanity check (e.g. does ping take at least as long as
direct path / (0.66 * speed-of-light)). Mostly it relied on whois
records and understanding various ISP's conventions about naming
routers (many embed airport codes). To get a sense of the heuristics
that NetGeo used (which are probably similar to what the commercial
services are doing today), see:

http://www.caida.org/outreach/papers/2000/inet_netgeo/inet_netgeo.html

Best,

-- ben

Candace Holman
<>

--
Ben Teitelbaum http://people.internet2.edu/~ben/

  • Geolocation articles, Candace Holman, 09/23/2005
    • Re: Geolocation articles, Ben Teitelbaum, 09/27/2005