wg-pic - [wg-pic] Presence Package Requirements Update 022505 (2)

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] Presence Package Requirements Update 022505 (2)

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [wg-pic] Presence Package Requirements Update 022505 (2)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:01:59 -0500

It occurs to me that I forgot to include the presence portal in this document, so I added it under "Data Aggregation" where it formerly said "none".

Dear PIC Members,

Based on yesterday's conference discussion, I've made some updates to the requirements list for packaging presence for longer term trials. Please review and post any modifications or questions. I've listed some names with some tasks, please check to see if this is correct, or let me know if you're interested in helping with unassigned tasks.

Truly,
Candace

Requirements for Longer Term PALS Trial Packaging
12/20/04

Updates
-------
02/25/05 - Phase 1 packaging refinements for Spring MM

Introduction
------------
All members of the working group invite longer term trial participation - hopefully from schools, hospitals, and other institutions that have a predetermined desire for presence technologies. However, we realize that it is difficult to sell the idea of a trial without a package. This document starts the process of packaging a presence trial based on current client and server implementations.

To package a trial we have to agree on the basic representation of a trial. This initial document assumes that we will provide documentation, server code, and installation and simulation scripts to potential trial participants. For Phase 1 packaging, we will most likely develop a basic ser/pa RPM set; suggest the use of SIP.edu; provide documentation for installation, user provisioning and testing; and provide recommendations for at least two clients that support audio, presence, and IM.

The rest of the document describes a semi-chronological listing of tasks to support Longer Term Trial Packaging.

Preliminaries
-------------
Agree upon several scenarios for longer term trial deployment - choose from each category:
a. Servers: SIP.edu service, I2 PALS server, Local ser/pa server configured by PIC-WG script
(Phase 2+: Local ser/pa server customized for local use, Local custom (geopriv-based?) location server)
b. Data collection: manual (Phase 2+: HP Skiffs, custom solutions based on APs, manual PUBLISH)
c. Data Aggregation: presence portal (Phase 2+: HP Data Aggregator, custom solutions)
d. Client: choose 2 that do audio, basic presence and IM, and make sure there is an option for Macs. Xten eyeBeam, pulver Communicator, wavethree Session, etc (Phase 2+: video, group presence, rich presence)
e. Protocol options: XCAP/PIDF, PUBLISH
f. Client modes: IM, rich-presence, sip-voice (Phase 2+: gatewayed-voice, and/or video)
g. User provisioning modes: manual (Phase 2+: ldap)

Research (Jamey?)
--------
Determine basic components of an ser/pa install, including:
- configure network settings
- configure access control
- configure user accounts
- configure maps and access point locations (?)

Server
------
in progress: Stabilize the current PA version to most recent chosen RFCs/I-Ds
todo: Create bug list, prioritize solutions, enlist help
in progress: Ensure the current stable version is available in the ser cvs repository
todo: Create RPMs for closest approximation of one-button setup
todo: Testing installation instructions and RPMs outside of pals.internet2.edu (Jeremy, Art)

Client
------
done: Cannot use SIPc for basic IM and Voice because of licensing
in-progress: Find some other clients that use the PUBLISH method for presence/loc updates
in-progress: Create bug list, prioritize solutions, enlist help

Loc/Presence Aggregation (not required for Phase 1)
------------------------
done: Determine intellectual property rights of current package
todecide: Possibly create a middleware system to do RFC3903 (event stuff
todecide: Determine standard map image upload and mapped location tracking requirements

Coding
------
todo: Write script that tests the PUBLISH capability of PALS, confirms local network viability like a basic echo test (Candace)
todo: Write RPMs for the ser server and pa module

Documentation
in-progress: Write a document about presence/location data handling in the PA module
- methods and hardware to publish data
- methods to gather and aggregate data
- how to test virtual location aggregation

todo: Update Jamey and Xiaotaow's client requirements document
todo: Write a server requirements document
todo: Write an "adherance to current standards" document

Candace Holman

  • [wg-pic] Presence Package Requirements Update 022505 (2), Candace Holman, 02/25/2005