wg-pic - Draft requirements for longer term pals trial packaging

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Draft requirements for longer term pals trial packaging

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Draft requirements for longer term pals trial packaging
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:37:28 -0500

Here is the initial draft requirements lists for wg-pic to begin constructing a longer term trial package. Please make adjustments where needed.

Candace

Draft Requirements for Longer Term PALS Trial Packaging
12/20/04

Introduction
------------
All members of the working group invite longer term trial participation -
hopefully from schools, hospitals, and other institutions that have a
predetermined desire for presence techologies. However, we realize that it is
difficult to sell the idea of a trial without a package. This document starts
the process of packaging a presence trial based on current client and server
implementations.

To package a trial when we have to agree on the basic representation of a trial. This initial document assumes that we will provide documentation, server code, and installation and simulation scripts to potential trial participants.

The rest of the document describes a semi-chronological listing of tasks to
support Longer Term Trial Packaging.

Preliminaries
-------------
Agree upon several scenarios for longer term trial deployment - choose from each category:
a. Server: I2 PALS server, Local ser/pa server configured by PIC-WG script,
Local ser/pa server customized for local use, Local custom (geopriv-based?)
location server
b. Data collection: HP Skiffs, custom solutions based on APs, manual PUBLISH
c. Data Aggregation: HP Data Aggregator, custom solutions
d. Client: some possibilities are SIPc, Xten eyeBeam, custom solution
e. Protocol options: XCAP/PIDF, PUBLISH
f. Client modes: IM, rich-presence, sip-voice, gatewayed-voice, and/or video

Research
--------
Determine basic components of an ser/pa install, including:
- configure network settings
- configure access control
- configure user accounts
- configure maps and access point locations (?)

Server
------
Stabilize the current PA version to most recent chosen RFCs/I-Ds
Create bug list, prioritize solutions, enlist help
Ensure the current stable version is available in the ser cvs repository
Create installation scripts for one-button setup

Client
------
Use SIPc for basic IM and Voice if intellectual property rights check out
Find some other clients that use the PUBLISH method for presence/loc updates
Create bug list, prioritize solutions, enlist help

Loc/Presence Aggregation
------------------------
Determine intellectual property rights of current package
Possibly create a middleware system to do RFC3903 (event stuff
Determine standard map image upload and mapped location tracking requirements

Coding
------
Write script that tests the PUBLISH capability of PALS, confirms local network
viability like a basic echo test
Write scripts that install and configure the ser server

Documentation
-------------
Write a document about presence/location data handling in the PA module
- methods and hardware to publish data
- methods to gather and aggregate data
- how to test virtual location aggregation

Update Jamey's client requirements document
Write a server requirements document
Write an "adherance to current standards" document

Candace Holman

Harvard University Information Systems
60 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

  • Draft requirements for longer term pals trial packaging, Candace Holman, 12/20/2004