wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Liars network

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Liars network

  • From: Jeremy George <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Liars network
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:40:54 -0400 (EDT)

For Liars and Loafers, Cellphones Offer an Alibi
By MATT RICHTEL

Published: June 26, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO, June 25 — Cellphones are chock-full of features like
built-in cameras, personalized ring tones and text messaging. They also
gave a real boost to Kenny Hall's effort to cheat on his girlfriend.

Mr. Hall, a 20-year-old college student in Denver, decided in March to
spend a weekend in nearby Boulder with another woman. He turned to his
cellphone for help, sending out a text message to hundreds of other
cellphone users in an "alibi and excuse club," a network of 3,400
strangers who help each other skip work, get out of dates or give a
loved one the slip.

Assistance came instantly. A club member, on receiving Mr. Hall's message,
agreed to call the girlfriend. He pretended to be the soccer coach from
the University of Colorado at Boulder and said that Mr. Hall was needed
in town for a tryout.

"It worked out pretty good," said Mr. Hall, who signed up for the
network on www.sms.ac, a Web site that offers access to hundreds of
mobile chat rooms.

Cellphones are usually used to help people keep track of each other
and stay in easy contact. But they are also starting to take on quite
a different function — helping users hide their whereabouts, create
alibis and generally excuse their bad behavior.

There is nothing new about making excuses or telling fibs. But the lure of
alibi networks, their members say, lies partly with the anonymity of the
Internet, which lets people find collaborators who disappear as quickly
as they appeared. Engaging a freelance deceiver is also less risky than
dragging a friend into a ruse. Cellphone-based alibi clubs, which have
sprung up in the United States, Europe and Asia, allow people to send
out mass text messages to thousands of potential collaborators asking
for help. When a willing helper responds, the sender and the helper
devise a lie, and the helper then calls the victim with the excuse —
not unlike having a friend forge a doctor's note for a teacher in the
pre-digital age.

Another new tactic is the use of audio recordings that can be played
in the background during a phone conversation to falsify the caller's
whereabouts. Phones can be equipped to play, at the press of a button,
the sounds of honking horns, ambulance sirens or a dentist's drill. An
employee who is actually sitting at the beach might be able to call his
boss, play the blaring tones of a traffic jam, and explain why it has
been impossible to get to work on time.

"It lets you control your environment," said Harry Kargman, chief
executive of Kargo, a New York company that plans to begin selling in
July a variety of cellphone sounds for $2.99, including the rasp of a
hacking cough to simulate lung infection. "It's not necessarily malicious
or nefarious," Mr. Kargman said.

Whatever the moral implications of these functions, they show that the
cellphone, with its increasing computing power, is taking on complicated
functions once associated with computers. And the advanced technology
that makes it possible to keep closer tabs on people, said James E. Katz,
a professor of communications at Rutgers University, also gives them a
potent tool for deception.

Mr. Katz said there was practically an arms race between the technology
used to locate people and track behavior — global positioning systems,
for instance, and caller ID on phones — and technologies intended
to deflect surveillance, like audio for fake background noises. At the
same time, constant surveillance may have increased the desire to get
off the radar, even if that means using underhanded tricks.

Text messaging, for example, a popular cellphone function that lets
people send short e-mail messages to and from phones, has been adopted
as the most efficient means of contacting potential alibi abettors.

According to the Yankee Group, a market research firm, some 1.7 billion
text messages were sent in the United States during the third quarter
of 2003, up from 1.2 billion during the first quarter. Text messaging
can be a major source of revenue for mobile phone companies, who charge
up to 10 cents to send or receive a message, said Linda Barrabee, an
analyst with the Yankee Group.

Ms. Barrabee said the technology was particularly popular among teenagers
and 20-somethings, like Michelle Logan, a 26-year-old San Diego resident
who works for an airline.

Ms. Logan was traveling in Europe last year when she learned about
a network of several thousand mobile phone users who, through text
messaging, help one another establish alibis and make excuses.

n April, Ms. Logan returned to the United States and started an American
version of the club, which Mr. Hall later used and which charges users
for receiving e-mails. Through the site, phone users can sign on to
mobile chat rooms to send messages to each other over the Internet or by
phone. There are hundreds of such clubs focusing on subjects large and
small, ranging from animal rights to the question of whether pirates or
ninjas are tougher.

In Ms. Logan's case, she promptly used the alibi club she had started to
get out of a blind date. She sent out a text message asking for help,
and in came a response from a stranger in San Jose, Calif., who agreed
to call the blind date, pretend to be Ms. Logan's boss, and explain that
she had to go to Europe for a training seminar.

These days, Ms. Logan spends much of her time overseeing the e-mail
traffic and watching her club grow. It now has 3,400 members, with
hundreds of new members signing up each week. One member recently used
the club to fool his wife so he could stay at a sports bar to watch
the N.B.A. finals. Another member — the wife of a soldier stationed
in Iraq — sent out a message asking for help to conjure up an excuse
after becoming pregnant by another man. But in that case, many responders
urged the woman to tell her husband the truth, according to club members.

The European alibi club which inspired Ms. Logan grew to 4,000 members,
but was shut down late last year by its founder, Kayle Hanson, 21. "I
got a new girl and she wasn't too keen on it," said Mr. Hanson, who
lives in Hamburg, Germany. "She thought it was immoral. Imagine that!"

Ms. Logan said she was not terribly concerned about lying. Still, she
said one reason she preferred counting on strangers to help her was that
she did not want her friends to know what she was doing.

"You wouldn't really want your friends to know you're sparing people's
feelings with these white lies," she said, laughing.

Another problem, which even alibi club members admit, is that other
members may not be entirely trustworthy. Mr. Hall, the student in Denver,
said that when he gave away his girlfriend's phone number to a stranger,
he worried that the stranger might do more than make an excuse.

"I didn't want him hitting on her or telling her what I was up
to," Mr. Hall said. But now he is a believer in the power of the
cellphone-assisted alibi. "It worked out good, actually."