wg-pic - Hands on SER workshop at APAN meeting in Cairns Australia

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Hands on SER workshop at APAN meeting in Cairns Australia

  • From: Stephen Kingham <>
  • To: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • Cc: Quincy Wu <>,
  • Subject: Hands on SER workshop at APAN meeting in Cairns Australia
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:28:22 +1100

Hi Ben

Firstly please vet this message for distribution within Internet2 as you see fit.

As I mentioned in Hawaii we are going to take up the suggestion at the Internet2 meeting to hold a "hands on workshop to build SER based SIP servers" at the APAN meeting (www.apan.net) being help with the Questnet meeting (http://www.questnet.net.au/Conferences.html) on the first week of July in Cairns Australia.

I have lined up Aaron Solomon to lend a hand with his experience with SER. Jiri has agreed to lend a hand remotely, by way of reviewing the material. Without asking I have had lots of offers from Australian Universities (who are now madly building SER systems) to provide assistance.

I would like to liaise with Internet2's work in the same area. I know the objectives will be slightly different; as I understand it you are looking at a bake off and we are looking at a tutorial to kick start SIP capability into Australia and Asia.

So this is an initial heads up to say we are committed and would like to liaise with Internet2 and visa versa. I will be publishing a set of web pages to present to workshop participants, and another set to co-ordinate people contributing resources to make the workshop happen. The pages will contain detailed course notes and build information for the Unix Operating Systems and SER installs so that the participants who provide there own platform all have the same build. I think it is in the content of these pages that assistance from the Internet2 community will be most useful.

I expect we will have material to contribute to the cookbook and generate lots of interest in the SIP.edu initiative.

Also Cairns being close to The Great Barrier Reef, red deserts, and rainforests, is quite a nice place to visit and international visitors are welcome just in case anyone was interested.

Regards

Stephen

--
Stephen Kingham, MIT, BSc, E&C Cert
Project Manager and Consulting Engineer

  • Hands on SER workshop at APAN meeting in Cairns Australia, Stephen Kingham, 02/24/2004