wg-multicast - Re: Mcast Overlay solution availability in I2

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Mcast Overlay solution availability in I2

  • From: Chris Wilkinson <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: Mcast Overlay solution availability in I2
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 02:04:54 +0000
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=internet2.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=internet2.edu; dkim=pass header.d=internet2.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=UL0c44JbXfjFj5AUQalr1dXPM1BtD4cNMUz2cHLRYnI=; b=eLzqDBbZ+8CT5e+VgIY9SF2w0g0b2d5ZH6heust0CYy62lEI4R2B1WuLgFiejbJgaqbae8gXv8LRZyh9b9PErL11JuhxTNj4z/gZl4gZcSE39lCCDFG7X0BOkZauOyD1Nd5G1hOxNSR6N3PbCoCBLFxLmGfVj8wK1BYvTdeUAyapQRBol1d3SVYswznVXoQs7R0agqO31t3oaaZ2GorPRpNQ/edfTiCS/aCUgWaK3JcjOFuXI6AaG7LBcbJ88T0dF/S8R/QF/f+WSur1j+eOXJAeMzjFtT7I75CDGFZoDnrNvkl0X4Ug3h4MuIKGcorBt6P5x7B0afO73j/DAWfDHA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=UWdDDvLLiikIn9mevs2cVRsUyEShrNtyKNDXesDCuVbThX3q+1//17HadVjsgi60YLH7CiO9ip63FsfolL64StY3O30yBsF6I++DtAhYbsnX+K2af3AsLPrEcq4Y+yAfjcWSjW2OJFHPD3k4K2PTHzPXsH9iFFFHSNJlTS/HOzg85ZB6YyfPkf/J85VaCUdW9FTb3U3aA0vPUGxjuOX/IfzLaVojCCNUvCo3JlsWYpAw/lH0TAxuBCMF4uPEhtzZtI9ebxZy1hhZcuPaLBK8lnT4i/BOv7q85DFHCz9LpIeJ4u27KKLa46mFLOZu/BhQpjWgB7M3XhuxTVNUuwHr/Q==

Lenny,

Thank you for your message!

As I've mentioned before, I agree it is really unfortunate that we were not
able to honor the best-practice of "make-before-break" in this case. It
simply was not possible with our available resources and project schedule;
other services had to be prioritized and even those have proven to be
challenging on the bleeding-edge of network development.

We have another 3-4 weeks of intense transition actives and then we can start
to move some resources back to other topics areas, which might very well
include the potential testbed for multicast support. For the moment, I simply
have to keep our resources laser-focused on dealing with our transitions for
L2 and L3 core services. We're also hitting platform bugs on a nearly-daily
basis, which also adversely impacts my manpower for non-core-related programs.

You and the WG are doing the right thing - continuing to elaborate develop
your use cases, citing specific applications, and requesting that a testbed
or overlay be added as soon as possible. This helps Internet2 determine where
to put resources, both short term and long term. I realize this doesn't
answer your direct question about when multicast might be restored. I can't
provide that answer at this time.

Thanks again,

Chris Wilkinson
Director of Network Architecture and Planning, Internet2
734.352.4962

On 10/20/21, 1:40 PM, " on behalf of
Leonard Giuliano" < on behalf of
> wrote:

Folks,

On the last Mcast WG call on 9/28, we discussed a proposed Multicast
Overlay solution and there seemed to be strong consensus to recommend it
going forward. Perhaps I didn't appreciate the swiftness of the migration
from old network to new or maybe I just wasn't paying close attention to
the timelines, but I kind of assumed this would be somewhat of a
make-before-break approach and the new solution would be in place before
the old network was dismantled.

In any event, we are now seeing the disconnecting of the multicast
connectivity that was supporting some active applications. Specifically,
the Multicast Menu (https://multicastmenu.herokuapp.com/) which listed
and
launched access to all the multicast content on I2 and GEANT, as well as
plans for new multicast-based distance learning/educational content
stream
from a member (Thomas Jefferson HS) are now unavailable. The suggestion
from the NOC to "implement GRE tunnels or transition their applications
Layer 2 multipoint VPLS/EVPN" is not a viable option for interdomain apps
designed to be globally available to the full R&E community.

In any event, now that the old multicast-enabled network is no longer
available, how soon could we get the new Mcast Overlay solution in place?

Thanks,
Lenny