wg-multicast - Re: Multicast and the Internet2 Backbone Migration

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast and the Internet2 Backbone Migration

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: David Farmer <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>, Michael H Lambert <>, Ron Milford <>, Matt Mullins <>, Mark Brochu <>, "Matt Zekauskas" <>, Jeff Bartig <>, "Edward Balas" <>, Andrew Ragusa <>, Rich Ingram <>, Colin Murphy <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast and the Internet2 Backbone Migration
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:31:04 -0700
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:mLBzMRG+ELqCu600+s8rgZ1GYnF86YWxBRYc798ds5kLTJ76rs2wAkXT6L1XgUPTWs2DsrQf1LqQ7viocFdDyKjCmUhKSIZLWR4BhJdetC0bK+nBN3fGKuX3ZTcxBsVIWQwt1Xi6NU9IBJS2PAWK8TWapAQfERTnNAdzOv+9WsuL15z2hKiO/Mj/ahtJiHKTaKl3IQ/++QvYrMwbm6N/L6B3xxfU9ChmYeNTkEdlIlSahRq0ycat+J9q9SMY7/Ys8chReafneaUgQKYeCjk6ZTNmrPb3vAXOGFPcrkAXVX8bx18RW1DI
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, David Farmer wrote:

| On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Leonard Giuliano
|
| FWIW, deprecating interdomain IPv4 ASM is something that has been
| suggested at IETF in the MBONED WG for quite some time and there has
been
| recent activity on a draft to codify this proposal.
|

| Any pointers?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-acg-mboned-multicast-models-00

Currently, the focus of the draft is to explain the different service
models (ASM, SSM). But the plan is to whittle it down and to at least
make a strong recommendation to use SSM for interdomain, if not
deprecating interdomain ASM altogether.

If there are folks intererested in this effort and have comments and
thoughts, please share with the authors.

One concern I would have is for the folks who do use mcast today (and I
know it's not a huge number, but I'm sure it's non-zero nonetheless), are
the apps they use SSM aware? Would deprecating ASM break the few folks
who do use mcast today?

| And, personally, I would go even further and suggest why not do the
same
| with v6?
|

| I'd be fine with that personally.
|
| While Embedded RP avoids many of the horrors of MSDP, if SSM is
| sufficient for v4 it should also suffice for v6.  Network-based source
| discovery accounts for the vast majority of complexity in mcast
| deployments- both for v4 and v6.
|

| I left in Embedded RP because the support by the inter-domain backbone is
more or less identical to SSM, but I'd be happy without it too.

Might as well go all in and rid the world of PIM registers, data-driven
state creation, tree-switchover, etc.