wg-multicast - Multicast and the Internet2 Backbone Migration

Subject: All things related to multicast

Multicast and the Internet2 Backbone Migration

  • From: Michael H Lambert <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Multicast and the Internet2 Backbone Migration
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:36:41 -0400
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.11.0 mailer1.psc.edu v5NFagIS008558
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.2 mailer1.psc.edu v5NFagIS008558
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:oWXbvBVw9jczc2d1GICrhDEpWmPV8LGtZVwlr6E/grcLSJyIuqrYZRyHt8tkgFKBZ4jH8fUM07OQ6P+wHzFYqb+681k8M7V0HycfjssXmwFySOWkMmbcaMDQUiohAc5ZX0Vk9XzoeWJcGcL5ekGA6ibqtW1aSV3DMl9qKaHwB4rOjs++zPz6r4LcJgBVgCa8arppMD23qxncrM8bndEkJ6osnEjnuHxNLsFXzmNhKFbbv17Y78K68YR/u3BUsvcr+tRceb3hdOI1QaEOX2duCHw8+MC+7UqLdgCI/HZJCmg=

If you happened to be on the Internet2 connector call on backbone migration a
couple of weeks ago, you've probably already heard much of this. If so, my
apologies for the duplication. At any rate, please bear in mind that I'm not
an MPLS expert so some of the technical details presented might not be
exactly right. I'll also throw James Deaton and Bill Owens under the bus as
co-conspirators.

There is a significant, but not insurmountable, issue with IPv4 multicast
when moving from the current backbone to the MPLS-based backbone. Because of
the way Juniper implements a corner case (meaning it's unlikely to receive
attention), each MSDP SA received generates a Type-5 L3VPN BGP announcement.
Under normal circumstances, this generates an acceptable number of
announcements. However, with a full MSDP mesh, an MSDP storm can generate
hundreds of thousands of BGP announcements. Believe it or not, we are still
seeing MSDP storms.

One workaround is to filter the BGP announcements. This does mitigate the
effects of the storm, but is not RFC compliant. Other options that have been
discussed include not having the full mesh or limiting the number of
Internet2's MSDP peers, effectively requiring connectors to do pairwise MSDP
peering.

In order to help Internet2 with resource planning, we'd like to get a better
idea of the current multicast landscape. If you would, please take a moment
to respond to the poll at https://doodle.com/poll/zkuvs2vc6dh5dmvr. Please
note that we are concerned only with IPv4 multicast at this time.

The poll will close at 2100 UTC on Friday, 30 June.

Thanks,

Michael