wg-multicast - Re: Multicast patented ?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Multicast patented ?

  • From: Marc Manthey <>
  • To: Multicast Working Group <>
  • Subject: Re: Multicast patented ?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 01:18:52 +0100

On Nov 18, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Antonio Querubin wrote:

I notice from the AT&T paper that they’ve joined the ranks of multicast-enabled service providers and are now trying to push multicast to their end users.  Anyone have any experience with their multicast connectivity?

Thanks for the information guys , this was the only code i found,but  looks  straight forward

AMT provides a way for a host, proxy, or router on a non-multicast
capable network to join multicast groups on a remote multicast
capable network through a relay on that network.

AMT is the product of the MBONED Working Group of the Operations
and Management Area of the IETF.  More information about the MBONED
Working group can be found at

The lastest version of the internet-draft describing this protocol
at the time of this release are provided in this distribution. Later
versions of the draft or an RFC of this protocol may be found at
the IETF location above.

This distribution provides AMT relay and AMT gateway implementations.
It was developed using FreeBSD 4 and FreeBSD 5. Porting to other
similar operating systems should require only minor modifications.
The gateway in particular uses the tun(4) pseudo-interface driver
which may require modifications for porting.  The relay uses some
low-level socket options that may require changes for use on other
similar operating systems.

Funding for this work was provided by Juniper Networks, Inc.
More information about Juniper Networks, Inc. can be found at

Currently open issues:

1. Deal with this error correctly when the relay shuts down
    amtgwd: recv relay communication trouble: Connection refused
2. fprintf -> syslog
3. Carefully go through daemonize code and close file descriptors.
4. periodic IGMP queries/timeout through some stateful firewalls
5. SIGINT needs to dump stats
6. XMLRPC interface for management
7. get mtu and allocate packet buffer based on mtu size
8. check for memory leaks (I know there is at least one).

have a nice weekend

Marc

HI Marc,

While this does not answer your question I found these three PowerPoint’s interesting surrounding AMT multicast:

CB

--  Les enfants teribbles - research / deployment
Marc Manthey- Vogelsangerstrasse 97
50823 Köln - Germany
Tel.:0049-221-29891489
Mobil:0049-1577-3329231
blog: http://let.de

Please think about your responsibility towards our environment: Each printed e-mail causes about 0.3 grams of CO2 per page.

Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).