wg-multicast - RE: NCSA Beacon page gone after 5/30/2011

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: NCSA Beacon page gone after 5/30/2011

  • From: "Zenon Mousmoulas" <>
  • To: "Debbie Fligor" <>, "Multicast Working Group" <>
  • Subject: RE: NCSA Beacon page gone after 5/30/2011
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:32:30 +0300

Hi Debbie,

you have a point about the unicast updates with mbeacon, on the other hand I
suppose that could be one of the reasons why it was reported that "the code
wasn't designed for the number of hosts it is often [currently] tracking".

You are right again that dbeacon also seems to be abandoned. In fact, I just
noticed that mbeacon v1.4 was published on SourceForge on 2011-02-05, with
the following note included in the ChangeLog:

Beacon v1.4-0 February 4, 2011
* Set udp socket buffer sizes as large as OS limits allow.

* Build shared libraries using -fPIC

* Add a FreeBSD rc.d startup script.

On the other hand, dbeacon has these probably important (nowadays) features:
- IPv6
- SSM

So the question is: Are there any other/better options for beacon software?

BTW, when the dbeacon code was declared abandoned, about one year ago, it was
re-licensed with an MIT license and published on github:
http://github.com/hugosantos/dbeacon

As for what group to use, the bottom line is it doesn't matter that much.
Despite GLOP or RFC6014 assignments, I don't think anyone stops anyone else
from using each other's address space, or that would technically make much
sense anyway. Nonetheless, for IPv4 ASM specifically, I would personally be
in favor of using something "neutral", so in this sense I would suggest
either of the following:
- Consider applying for an assignment in the AD-HOC Block III
(233.252.0.0/14), risking rejection because such an application could be
perhaps debated to imply the resurrection of an "mbone", and also accepting
the delay associated with the review/approval process, or even simply (ab)use
a group in the MCAST-TEST-NET block (233.252.0.0/24, reserved for example.com
type of use).
- Just use a memorable group address from the GLOP block, that is not already
used by the assignee, after asking for his permission, of course. According
to such criteria the ideal candidate would be, IMHO, 233.4.5.6, assigned to
AS 1029; I don't know who that is, but see:
http://whois.arin.net/rest/asn/AS857/pft

To conclude, I agree that all it takes is agreeing on a group to use, as you
noted. I would add to that: a number of sites must join this beacon, so that
critical mass is achieved. This relates to my previous suggestion about
jump-starting such an initiative.

Best regards,
Z.